cracked header

TTA 1077

While installing my new valve springs, mechanic noticed my pass side exhaust manifold/header is cracked:( Now what? any one have one they are willing to part with?

Just weld it up. Anyone with a tig welder and a stainless steel stick should be able to take care of that.

Thanks I'll see if he wants to tackle it! he's realy good at tuning and the mechanics, not sure on his welding skill. Brief conversation with him, didn't specify as to locatin of the crack. Where is the most common spot these crack in and is there an area that would make it a total loss? Just preparing for worst, learned you have to with these cars:rolleyes: Still would like to find a set just to have!

I wouldn't just let your normal mechanic do the welding. Find someone local who just does welding, most radiator shops can help you out or atleast point you to someone who can help you out. If it's welded correctly it'll look good and should be stronger than it was before.

Make sure you get someone that knows what they are doing as they need to clamp it down properly (the part that sits on the head) and keep it cool or it will warp and it will leak like hell when you put it back.

I had a set tig welded that I will use on my newly built engine as I know the OEM's easily cracks so better be safe than sorry and get it done at this point, I also had the surfaces skimmed facing the heads to make sure I get a flush fit when I install them again.

Those won't work, try these - Fel Pro MS93046 Header gaskets for the 3.8.

We should get a list going for the TTA owners with part numbers, recommendation and any comments ... I got tons of part numbers as I bought pretty much every gasket you might ever think of just need to start compiling a list :)

We should get a list going for the TTA owners with part numbers, recommendation and any comments ... I got tons of part numbers as I bought pretty much every gasket you might ever think of just need to start compiling a list :)

I agree! It's difficult sometimes, especially when your dealing with the 17 year old parts counter kid who has no idea what a GN is let alone a TTA. This way if we know the part # and who carries it Life could be good:D

Take your headers to a machine shop and have them surfaced. Then you will not have to deal with the parts guy. Michael