Cracked driver side stock header!

viokrome

Had a high blm problem the last couple of weeks, after a good inspection of the engine I found my driver side stock header cracked between #3 & #5. So I ordered up a stock replacment style from kirbans, so is there any tips on the replacement and hardware that you guys can give me to make this easy. Is the Kirbans header a good replacement? Can I reuse the stock hardware? Whats the best gasket? This is a bone stock car so just trying to keep it simple.

You ordered a header from a reputable vendor. If Dennis thought it was junk he wouldn't sell it, so your fine........As for gaskets I like to use Remflex..They are made of a composite material that won't shrink or blow out. They compress like a 1/16 of an inch and will give you a good seal...I even reused mine after needing to take it off and do some engine work....I'm pretty sure you can reuse the same header bolts...

This was a good move not having the stocker repaired as it never lasts and will cause more headaches down the road.......

Thanks!! I will order up some remflex right away! I am ready to get this thing back on the road!!

This was a good move not having the stocker repaired as it never lasts and will cause more headaches down the road.......

Don't mean to hi-jack this thread by why do you think repairing the stock header doesn't last? Is it the quality of OE materials? If a guy welds gussets between 3-5, welds around the backside of the flange, etc. Why won't that work? Anyone out there seen an aftermarket one crack? If not, why don't they crack and the stock ones do?

The Kirban replacement should be the one made by TA Performance. Should work well for you.

The stockers crack because of a poor design and equally poor materials. Add in 25 years of heat cycles, and yeah they'll crack. I just swapped mine out with a repaired one. No problems so far.

From what I hear the best way to repair them is to use a TIG welder with a Inconel rod. I used Type 82 for mine. I also braced it across the front of the tubes, as opposed to in between; because it was easier at the time.

Factory was NO gaskets and the stock hardware should work fine. Just cut the extended end off the #5 bottom bolt. Makes it much easier to get in there with a wrench.

Just pulled off the driver side header and found that there was no gasket! Is this normal ? I know it has never been off the car, its bone stock original.....

Attachments

• 2012-04-27_18_55_01.jpg
    2012-04-27_18_55_01.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 144
  • 2012-04-27 18.54.38.jpg
    2012-04-27 18.54.38.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 143
Out of curiousity how many miles did you car have on it before the header cracked? I have 46k miles and and I'm wondering how much longer mine will last before it cracks.

Out of curiousity how many miles did you car have on it before the header cracked? I have 46k miles and and I'm wondering how much longer mine will last before it cracks.

Depends on your boost level and how long you stay in it. If it's lasted this long, you're probably fine for a while unless it's already cracked and you don't know it. Have you inspected it?

Yes I've inspected it and didn't see any signs of a crack or exhaust leak but after viewing the pics posted in this thread and seeing exactly where the crack occurs I want to take another look just to stay on top of things.