Cowl Weatherstrip

On a hot or warm day, and we have plenty of them during the year, put your hand at the base of the windshield with the engine running and will feel nothing.

Remove the rubber weatherstrip and you will not want to keep your hand there very long.

In the "old days", we would put shims or washers to elevate the rear of the hood to allow heat to escape from the engine compartment as it was sealed there.

When emissions came into affect, the factory wanted more heat under the hood, but us racers did not want the under hood heat, and still do not want it!

The coil pack/module happens to be in the hottest place under the hood, and our 100-110+ degree summer temps was killing these electrical items in the early years, and we quickly learned to remove the weatherstrip, which also removes lots of heat.

I cut mine to fit around the air intake at the a/c box. Left the rest of it off.
That way, the a/c didn't pull engine compartment heat/smell, into the cabin...

Is it needed? Pros and cons?
No, you don't need it.

I have one from some other car (My fathers old trashed Jeep SUV rear hatch) it was longer and flatter. I used it to complete the look of a continuous cowl. I have no AC and I use the factory screen to provide an out for hot air when moving. Also, my fiberglass hood doesn't contact the strip. I can slip my hand around and feel the gap.
IMG_0092 (2).JPG

I leave mine off in the summer but I do not drive it when it rains. I don't know if the cowl weatherstrip does anything to keep water out of anything in the rain however?