Couple CA Smog Questions

Steve87GN

Oh come on...its just a 6
Hey guys. My smog check is due soon and I have a couple questions.

1) The speedo needle bounces a little bit around 15 mph and very slight at 25 mph (the speeds the test is done at). Would this be something that the tech could fail me for?

2) I'm looking at replacing/upgrading the injectors. The ones on the motor now are the originals with over 190k on them. I've noticed that at high RPM with full boost I got a little bit of knocking and every so often its hard to start the car. I'm guessing I should get these replaced before the test, right? If so, would going from stock flow injectors to 32 lb. injectors make that much of a difference? And is there any "break-in" time for the car after doing this (i.e. learning time for the PCM)?

Thanks a bunch for the help.

The speedometer problem won't be an issue because that is not where they are taking the speed reading for the test. Mine does the same thing.

If you go with 32lb. injectors, I would just have a chip burned that is a stock program with the injector constant recalibrated for the new injector size or the computer may not have enough adjustment in it to compensate for the larger injectors. (Every car will be a little different) The ECM will "learn" enough with 10-15 minutes of driving.

or you can go to the right place for the amount of cash and don't have to worry about pass or not ;)

The speedometer problem won't be an issue because that is not where they are taking the speed reading for the test. Mine does the same thing.

If you go with 32lb. injectors, I would just have a chip burned that is a stock program with the injector constant recalibrated for the new injector size or the computer may not have enough adjustment in it to compensate for the larger injectors. (Every car will be a little different) The ECM will "learn" enough with 10-15 minutes of driving.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. If I do go with the 32 lb. injectors, who would you recommend I have make the chip? The only one I'm familiar with is TurboTweak.

or you can go to the right place for the amount of cash and don't have to worry about pass or not ;)

Ummmm, thanks, but I'd rather do this the legal way. Helps me to sleep at night. ;)

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. If I do go with the 32 lb. injectors, who would you recommend I have make the chip? The only one I'm familiar with is TurboTweak.

Ummmm, thanks, but I'd rather do this the legal way. Helps me to sleep at night. ;)

In CA the legal way is stock! No mods what so ever.... I know I been state ref a few times.

In CA the legal way is stock! No mods what so ever.... I know I been state ref a few times.

Quite true. I guess I get a little bit of pleasure out of getting the car to pass with "illegal" parts, if that makes any sense lol :)

It's all legal if they don't notice it. And make sure your breathers aren't venting into the atmosphere. IE, no open air breathers.
IMHO the hardest part about smog is the visual. A decent tuned car and chip will pass emissions every time.

It's all legal if they don't notice it. And make sure your breathers aren't venting into the atmosphere. IE, no open air breathers.
IMHO the hardest part about smog is the visual. A decent tuned car and chip will pass emissions every time.

Thanks for the reassurance dude. I've actually taken the breathers off and have been running the stock pieces for a while now...I just need to update my webpage. lol

So, who would be good to go to for a chip for the new injectors?

***EDIT***

You know, I got to thinking, and I think I should post this question in another section of the board. Sorry about that guys. :)

Get in touch with Eric, he will set you up with a TT chip.

Sweet CA:rolleyes: I have spent $600 getting ready for my (Test) only bull test,
and it took the tech all of 1 minute to fail my car on the visual:mad:

It's all fair though, my car has 2500 miles on it in near a years time, I am sure I pollute more then most of the folks who drive their cars 15,000 plus miles a year:frown:

Get in touch with Eric, he will set you up with a TT chip.

Sweet CA:rolleyes: I have spent $600 getting ready for my (Test) only bull test,
and it took the tech all of 1 minute to fail my car on the visual:mad:

It's all fair though, my car has 2500 miles on it in near a years time, I am sure I pollute more then most of the folks who drive their cars 15,000 plus miles a year:frown:

Yeah, don't you just love the B.S. test-only crap we have to put up with? My car failed a smog once because of a bad cat years ago. Every other time, she runs cleaner than a friggen Honda, yet she's still a "high-emissions profile" vehicle. Total B.S.!!

Yeah, don't you just love the B.S. test-only crap we have to put up with? My car failed a smog once because of a bad cat years ago. Every other time, she runs cleaner than a friggen Honda, yet she's still a "high-emissions profile" vehicle. Total B.S.!!

Gotta love CA. I do a pre-test everytime. But i've only failed the visual during the pre-test. I don't know if they'd ding me if I failed the emissions portion?:confused:

Just to follow-up on this, I took her in for her test a couple weeks ago. Passed with flying colors. One of these days I'll stop doubting her. lol Thanks again everyone. :)