Cost to Paint our cars?

You sure do get what you pay for. If 5grand scares you then maybe a GN isn't for you. That's just the begining. These cars require money. The mods are not cheap really. Example, bigger turbo is gonna run well over 500 dollars. To upgrade the MAF correctly with the new pipe, cone filter, MAF, and translator is over 500. It's all like this my friend.
well this car is already rebuild motor and trans with big turbo and all supporting mods and bolt-ons.

500 for an upgraded turbo is VERY cheap....here is the turbo i had on one of my other cars...

stockVSGTK.jpg

look up the prices on those bad boys :eek:

the thing that bothers me about a 5K paint job is that i will get rock chips from long drives and slinging tire all over it while at the track. i dont mind spending money on my cars, i always do but most of my cars have been newr cars so i have never needed a full re-paint. the grand national is THAT car i wanted when i was a kid(im 27yrs old) and i have always wanted one but never really got serious about buying one till about a month ago and i do plan on buying one within the next 1-2 months.

Just stripped my to bare metal and removed every thing car was rust free with original paitn would not touch another one for any thing les than 8 to 10 grand its alot of work and materials are not cheap have 24 yrears experiance in auto body. Mike

well this car is already rebuild motor and trans with big turbo and all supporting mods and bolt-ons.

500 for an upgraded turbo is VERY cheap....here is the turbo i had on one of my other cars...

stockVSGTK.jpg

look up the prices on those bad boys :eek:

the thing that bothers me about a 5K paint job is that i will get rock chips from long drives and slinging tire all over it while at the track. i dont mind spending money on my cars, i always do but most of my cars have been newr cars so i have never needed a full re-paint. the grand national is THAT car i wanted when i was a kid(im 27yrs old) and i have always wanted one but never really got serious about buying one till about a month ago and i do plan on buying one within the next 1-2 months.

Just sold my GTK850 for 1200 on this site. Nice turbo (sorry to hijack)

Mike

Mike what kind of products are you using.Im using ppg and i love it but it is very expensive.

Can you paint guys give a general price range for primer, paint, and clear? For instance, cheap paint=$300/gallon, expensive paint= $800/gallon. Just trying to get a ball park figure. We have a Sherwin Williams auto paint store in town here, and also another auto paint store (I think PPG products) so I will check into it myself tomorrow. Thanks.

kirban 2 cents worth

My son has run his own body shop business since basically getting out of high school and has done several full paints on GNs as you can imagine being my son.

His prices start at around ten grand as a full time shop. Lots of the advice stated earlier in this thread is good obviousily the more ground work you do in advance the better at saving labor rates and keeping the correct screws to go back in the correct locations and not getitng lost etc. .

Black is a tough color to lay down as every flaw is magnified that is missed in the prep work.
For sure both mirrors need to come off meaning remove the door panels. Otherwise the paint will feel roof behind the mirror shells.

Same goes for the quarter windows which means now you have removed the inside rear trim panels.

Another key thing is to make sure whoever does the work stays on the job the longer your car sits half way done the more paint fumes and dust your interior takes in. Make sure you and the shop you are using is on the same page for what you want. Example in door jamb areas you want a tape line rather than overspray.

Rear spoiler remove some of the inner studs require special socket swivals to properly get. Personally I would gut as much as the interior as possible less chance of something happening to it.

Leave all the emblems off at least 2-3 weeks after you get the car back so paint can bake and so body shop don't inadvertently place emblems in the wrong positon.

For further advice as to what paint is the best or works the best etc my sons email is turbobuicks@epix.net

Make sure body shop realizes you want to retain the factory chip guard across the bottom of the sides of the car.

Bare metal all around assures you that nothing lies underneath that could pose a problem later on.

I am far from an expert this info is based on what I have seen my son do over the years.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

kirban 2 cents worth

My son has run his own body shop business since basically getting out of high school and has done several full paints on GNs as you can imagine being my son.

His prices start at around ten grand as a full time shop. Lots of the advice stated earlier in this thread is good obviousily the more ground work you do in advance the better at saving labor rates and keeping the correct screws to go back in the correct locations and not getitng lost etc. .

Black is a tough color to lay down as every flaw is magnified that is missed in the prep work.
For sure both mirrors need to come off meaning remove the door panels. Otherwise the paint will feel roof behind the mirror shells.

Same goes for the quarter windows which means now you have removed the inside rear trim panels.

Another key thing is to make sure whoever does the work stays on the job the longer your car sits half way done the more paint fumes and dust your interior takes in. Make sure you and the shop you are using is on the same page for what you want. Example in door jamb areas you want a tape line rather than overspray.

Rear spoiler remove some of the inner studs require special socket swivals to properly get. Personally I would gut as much as the interior as possible less chance of something happening to it.

Leave all the emblems off at least 2-3 weeks after you get the car back so paint can bake and so body shop don't inadvertently place emblems in the wrong positon.

For further advice as to what paint is the best or works the best etc my sons email is turbobuicks@epix.net

Make sure body shop realizes you want to retain the factory chip guard across the bottom of the sides of the car.

Bare metal all around assures you that nothing lies underneath that could pose a problem later on.

I am far from an expert this info is based on what I have seen my son do over the years.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Thanks Dennis that's good advice. I can remove the front and rear seats so they don't absorb the smells. Its a gnx clone so I'll only need the rear emblem. Regarding the rear quarter windows- if I remove them, would the black rubber seal around them be dry rotted? Is that seal available new? BTW I'll be contacting you for new fender vents. Thanks.

kirban 2 cents worth

The quarter windows think its 5 of the 10mm nuts per window every car is different on ease of "popping them out" Sometimes rust can play a factor the gooey substance is some sort of butle tape not sure what they cal it. Have to be careful you do not bend the studs on the metal frame work neither frames or seals are available from GM that I remember. I have used ones as probably does gbodyparts.com

Once out you want to refresh with new butle tape when they get re installed. The old stuff work it in a ball and it sticks to itself to remove all of it from your car body and the actual window frame.

Not a fun job in my opinion. On windshield and rear window pop off the trim is sufficent.

Again just my thoughts..

denniskirban@yahoo.com

kirban 2 cents worth

The quarter windows think its 5 of the 10mm nuts per window every car is different on ease of "popping them out" Sometimes rust can play a factor the gooey substance is some sort of butle tape not sure what they cal it. Have to be careful you do not bend the studs on the metal frame work neither frames or seals are available from GM that I remember. I have used ones as probably does gbodyparts.com

Once out you want to refresh with new butle tape when they get re installed. The old stuff work it in a ball and it sticks to itself to remove all of it from your car body and the actual window frame.

Not a fun job in my opinion. On windshield and rear window pop off the trim is sufficent.

Again just my thoughts..

denniskirban@yahoo.com

10mm dennis. Just had to take them out for the body shop:cool:

Body shop owner advised to leave in the black metal trim along the roof, above door windows. But he said to remove the trim along the back of the door window that is attached to the body. Would you agree? He said the top trim would get bent.

Body shop owner advised to leave in the black metal trim along the roof, above door windows. But he said to remove the trim along the back of the door window that is attached to the body. Would you agree? He said the top trim would get bent.

That's how mine was done. The trim that comes off easily should be removed, Trunk lid trim hood trim ect...

yeah they are pretty turbo's that make some good power with decent spool too.

Not being mean but I'm gonna say this once. Remove the link in your sig or you will have a problem. It's a violation! It's in the rules. If you're not a suporting vendor then it needs to go away or you need to become a supporting vendor. Sorry.:redface:

Not being mean but I'm gonna say this once. Remove the link in your sig or you will have a problem. It's a violation! It's in the rules. If you're not a suporting vendor then it needs to go away or you need to become a supporting vendor. Sorry.:redface:

just cause i have a website doesnt mean its a business. i have no tax ID and i do not own a company.

its a HOBBY of mine....if anybody in GA has a nice TB and wants FREE pictures all they have to do is bring it to me. i do everything i can to help local enthusiasts get nice pictures of their cars and i cant have my website in my sig???? are you for real? i aint trying to make money off this forum, im here cause i want to buy a GN and if somebody happens to want nice pictures of their car im down for it, not for money but cause its one of my hobbies.

what you need to be dealing with is the link i just clicked on in a car for sale thread where a guy had his pictures of his car hosted and that site just gave me a trojan virus. now i have to spend 30 minutes running through my maleware software to get rid of a "fake virus" alert thats on my desktop.

Hers some during and after pics. You can tell how nice it is in the reflection on the close up with my son

HERE :redface:

Attachments

• 23009670004_large.jpg
    23009670004_large.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 236
  • 23009670005_medium.jpg
    23009670005_medium.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 239
  • 23009670012_medium.jpg
    23009670012_medium.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 235
:)

Attachments

• IMG00090-20081225-1149.jpg
    IMG00090-20081225-1149.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG00089-20081225-1149.jpg
    IMG00089-20081225-1149.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 248
  • 23009670011_medium.jpg
    23009670011_medium.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 235
Very nice paint job. Do fenders come out better if they are removed? How about doors? The shop that will be doing my car has a lift.....should he lift the car a few feet before he starts painting the doors/fenders? I'm sure he knows how to paint cars (after 30 years) but I was just wondering.