Correct Paint for GNX Turbo Cover and Up Pipe and Where to Buy?

kna4977

What's the closest match to the original paint color for the GNX turbo heat shield and up pipe and where can I purchase? How close is the match?

Can't be had coach....and I talked at length with Rick..i refeberished John's (405) s as close as you can get. And a few that wish to remain anonymous.

Bummer. I just talked to Rick this morning. Trying to make a custom GNX emblem. The letter "G" is sooo screwed up...it can't be duplicated. If you can pull one up...look at it...it's messed up.

It appeared the up pipe and the cover where coated with the same material. I had the chance to match it using the area on the up pipe that had been protected from the elements and exposure by the rubber \ silicon adapter. That area looked brand new still. un like the cover which had faded from heat.

Back when Joe Harrington was making the repro GNX turbo shields he was using Silver BBQ paint that you could get at any Lowes or Home Depot. If your uppipe still has the factory ceramic coat on it they match up well.

I used actual ceramic coating from tech line. To refurbish the ones I did. They have one that is very close out of the box. Or you can mix to get it dead on.
Good luck.

I used actual ceramic coating from tech line. To refurbish the ones I did. They have one that is very close out of the box. Or you can mix to get it dead on.
Good luck.
Which tech line product? What about the paints that kirban sells?

Kirbans sells a real close paint
And honestly as long as it's a close shade how would anyone disagree ?
I've used the kirbans stuff and I have a NOS GNX turbo cover in the box and the paint is almost a dead match!

Kirbans sells a real close paint
And honestly as long as it's a close shade how would anyone disagree ?
I've used the kirbans stuff and I have a NOS GNX turbo cover in the box and the paint is almost a dead match!

A pic of the NOS one vs the repainted one would be great to see.

A while back someone also asked the same question and nobody really had a perfect answer

Let me try and find the thread.

Below are 2 Gnx turbo shield covers
The one on the left is the joe Harrington cover and the one on the right is a NOS Turbo cover
The Nos one has more of a sheen to it, however once on a car and time and heat the Harrington cover is a close match

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 240
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 194
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 215
Thanks for the pics. Very beneficial as people start to restore these cars. I don't think I've ever seen an actual real one as shinny and crisp as that NOS one. A real aged used one appears to be shinier than the Joe Harrington one, but very close in color. Only thing I'm missing now is a picture of one that has been repainted with the paint that Kirban sells.