CORRECT Lower Radiator Hose

mgmshar

When I replaced all of my radiator hoses earlier this year, I noticed that the replacement lower radiator hose that I received (a NAPA part) was different than the original GM hose. The original GM hose comes directly off the water pump inlet for about 6 inches, and then it makes a 90 degree bend to start heading forward. The replacement hose comes off the water pump inlet for only a few inches and then makes a bend rearward toward the passenger side exhaust manifold. After that bend, there is another 90 degree bend to point it forward. The problem with the replacement hose is that it runs a lot closer to the exhaust manifold than the original hose. Also, the original hose has the anti-collapse spring in it, while the replacement hose does not.

I've checked NAPA hoses and Gates hoses, and they both have the extra bend and don't have the springs. Does anybody make a hose that is an exact replica of the origina GM hose?

TIA...

My understanding is that GM will give you a "universal" replacement hose if you order one from them...

Has anybody tried this lately?

Funny you should mention this... I picked up a hose at O'Reilly's a year or two ago and its "correct" in that it has the spring with proper bends.

Earlier this week a bud got a GM hose without a spring and fit kinda like what you describe. The hose I purchased and let sit til now was what we used.

Suggestion? Dont really have one other than try O'Reilly's.

S

It shouldn't be too hard to get the correct one. Virtually ALL Buick V6 and most V8 hoses are the same.

There's nothing special about ours. Unlike the top one, which is unique.

What Dave said....

I have a regular Regal V6 lower hose. No fittment problems at all.

Perhaps. And this is the way its supposed to work... however, parts departments make mistakes blahblahblah but Brian (Kansas T) picked up a hose at work (GM dealer) just this week and it is like described above.

Maybe it was a parts room mistake, maybe GM inventory changed, or ?? I do find the timing odd that this question would come up within a day of my looking at a GM hose that doesnt fit "quite right" and without a spring in it.

Still shouldnt be a problem finding one even if you have to go aftermarket.

S

Mike,
I can get you one from my dealership.
Let me know if you would like me to order you one.
BTW- how`d the Norwalk video come out?
Brian Hofer

Just to make everything a little clearer...

I AM able to find replacement hoses that will fit on my car. However, every hose that I have found to date has an extra bend near the water pump end that causes the hose to run much closer to the exhaust manifold. I don't like running the hose less than 2 inches from the manifold - that just seems like a bad idea. In addition, none of the hoses that I've looked at so far have the anti-collapse spring inside of them. Since I am going to run a high-flow water pump, I would like the spring in there.

Here is a picture of the ORIGINAL hose. Notice that the section where it attaches to the water pump is straight, and there is a spring inside of it. I'm trying to figure out where I can get a hose like this.

GN%20Lower%20Radiator%20Hose.JPG