Cooling temp hit 230!!!!!!!

100fuegos

Okay 1st time I post a Thread....but do read other Threads here to answer my Questions................
I drive a bone Stock 87 GN daily to work 90 miles round trip, or 450 miles a week in Houston heat.
Today I noticed my cooling temp hit 230 :eek:............and got home and noticed my cooling fan did not stay on after I turned the car off? How can I Check if my fans are crapping out? Or check if my relays are BADD? I saw a link here once on how to do it???????
Also Where can I get the Relays??? Already Checked Advanced Auto Parts, Orielys, And Autozone..:confused:

Well from your post we can assume stock radiator and fan then correct?
Can we also assume the fan is working while the engine is running?

Without a doubt that stock radiator would have a ton of sediment in it, I'd consider a recore at minimum if you want to keep the stock look with the metal end tanks and coolers for the oil and trans fluid.

The stock fan isn't appropriate IMO for you Southerners, Dual Spals or the Dodge Intrepid Fans most GN vendors sell makes more sense to keep Summers fun to drive day after day.

If you want a sleeper single fan like the stocker, look into the MK8 fan, it's a beast and might fool most if you open the hood.

If you've never replaced the Radiator Cap I'd do so, pressure is a big part of the cooling system.

Agree with GNVYUS. Also, what thermostat do you have in there? A 160 will get the fluid going sooner.

Okay forgot to mention that I replaced the water pump,thermostat 160 degrees, all the hoses & flushed the radiator before the summer.

I envy you. Wish I could drive my GN that much.
Check the relays and report back.

Peter

Couldn't hurt to check the weather-pack connector just before the resistor at the factory fan assembly. Mine fried a few years back, burnt the connector up and turned the contacts black-----Open Circuit-----

Couldn't hurt to check the weather-pack connector just before the resistor at the factory fan assembly. Mine fried a few years back, burnt the connector up and turned the contacts black-----Open Circuit-----

That's what corrosion will do. Corrosion causes extra resistance, which then heats up the connections and eventually burns them away. Had that happen to my main fan feed connector over by the rad hose. I caught it early enough I could get the connectors apart and clean up the corrosion and replace the burnt parts.
Wasn't so lucky with my heater blower supply connection. The one that hides over very near the antenna. It's NOT a weather pach and is directly exposed to all moisture falling between the hood and fender!!!!

AND, I'm sorry, but I don't understand why anybody would buy a 24 year old car and use it as a daily driver as the OP is doing?!?

Because they're fun to drive. :cool:

Usually pretty dependable although I lost an alternator and powermaster this week. :mad:

I saw a lot of new cars burn to the ground on my trips to work over the years. :p

A fan not running is no biggy to fix. ;)

AND, I'm sorry, but I don't understand why anybody would buy a 24 year old car and use it as a daily driver as the OP is doing?!?

Why not? I could drive my T daily, if I chose to.

It's about driving these, I, for one, can't stand garage queens.

I'm driving mine almost daily to get all the bugs worked out, plus alky and a head/cam/stroker is more fun to drive than my C5 Z06 here in FL where all the roads are straight and level.

Why not? I could drive my T daily, if I chose to.

It's about driving these, I, for one, can't stand garage queens.

It's not so much the garage queen aspect, it's more a dependability IF it's your only wheels. Mine are no longer daily drivers simply because I could no longer imagine taking either to work or the mall, etc. I'd be too worried about what could happen if left unattended in such places, while I was at work or in the mall.

Sure, my 87 is a garage queen but gets driven on weekends. It's just too nice to be taking to the mall. My 86 isn't so pretty anymore, but gets occasional drives around mostly for testing and perfecting the tune files I have for Translator Pro.

Yeah I don't let mine out of my sight when I take it out. I work from home, so most errands involve a drive thru window.