Cooling fans

85ha

Where is a good source for finding the Ramcharger dual fan setup and what year models do they come on?

no need for dual fans- i have a single 16" Hayden fan that i found in the junkyard on my car and it never gets above 175. it is wired with a $15 Hayden relay kit that is controlled by the turbo tweak chip in the 87 ecm.

no need for dual fans- i have a single 16" Hayden fan that i found in the junkyard on my car and it never gets above 175. it is wired with a $15 Hayden relay kit that is controlled by the turbo tweak chip in the 87 ecm.

X2 here. A large single fan works the same as the dual fans for alot less money. I have the dual fans which cost more and needed dual fan relays. Brad

I have the 87 ECM and TT chip. Where is the wire from ECM that i need to connect to for fan relay

you need to run a wire to the ecm- i had a chevy TBI harness laying around and took a wire of the proper color out of the ecm plug on that and ran it to the proper terminal on the ecm. i even went thru the hassle of running it in the harness thru the firewall for that extra oem looking install.
i think the ecm grounds out the relay, and the + side of the relay (not the heavy load wire that i have going to the back of the alternator, but the switching part of the relay) is wired either directly to the battery or to a switched source that is hot all the time.. i can't remember how i did it, but either would work.
i have the fan relay mounted on the passenger side fender next to the fuel pump relay. it almost looks stock.

There is also an existing wire(not used) that the Caspers 84/85 electric fan converson uses to connect to the ECM. I can look up the instructions if you want. Save some time getting to the ECM. Let me know. Brad

The wire location depends on whether you have the digital dash or analog. On the Caspers Electronics web site they sell a Fan Relay Install Kit for 84/85, part number 102066. If you look at the "Instruction" button on this product description the detail of the unused wire to the ECM from the engine compartment is identified. I used this kit and it works great for a single fan. The dual ramcharger fans I added later overloaded the single relay. I had to add the Caspers dual fan relay kit as well. I would just get a single relay and single large fan and keep alot of money in your wallet. A single large Continental fan is another boneyard option that works very well too. Let me know if you have trouble finding the instructions. Brad

my car didn't have a wire going to the fan control terminal at the ecm. it really wasn't that hard to run the wire and cost me nothing.
i was going to just run it thru the same hole in the firewall that the water temp gauge capillary and oil pressurel ine is run thru, but i decided to do it all oem like and go thru the firewall grommet. it involved taking off the passenger side fender, but that wasn't as bad as i thought it would be.

another option is to just use a temp switch in the water jacket somewhere to ground the relay and turn the fan on at a certain temp. you can get the Hayden relay kit i used, and dig thru the books at NAPA to find the switch to activate it- the switch should be under $20.

Thanx for all the advice guys. Im going to order the fan relay kit from caspers and run one 16" fan. Also doing the f body rad upgrade. Any idea what temp ECM turns fan on at?