cooler size

gbodyman

if you are not useing the regular radiator to cool the transmission and just a seperate cooler alone is a 22,000 gvw unit good enough for a 2004r with 2800 stall??

Thanks

So, there is no such thing as "overcooling" the trans fluid ?? (unlike engine oil, which does need to be at a normal "hot" temp).

I'm trying to figure out what size of Setrab cooler to get :confused:. A technican I talked to at Art Carr (huntington beach) said they "usually" put 19 row Setrab coolers on the turbo buicks.

But since the additional cost is modest, is there a benefit (with no downside) to the next larger size cooler ?

The Art Carr tech also mentioned they usually omit the radiator cooling loop, and plumb the trans just thru the cooler alone.

However, on my '94 Chevy K-Blazer with factory towing package, GM runs the trans line first thru the normal radiator loop, then thru the cooler, and finally back to the trans.

Do most of you run the trans cooler in series with the radiator, or do you skip the radiator loop??

I suppose running in series, you get a little more overall cooling of the trans fluid. Skipping the radiator has the benefit of never having to worry about a leak of coolant into the trans fluid, or vice versa. Install effort looks about the same, no matter which way I install.