Cooler fittings??

Q

quikv6

I just got one of the tranny coolers from Bruce (very nice piece) and was wondering where I can get the fittings to go from the cooler, male 1/2 npt to the trans line fitting on the stock line. I don't want to run any rubber hose. I asked for the one that has to be hard piped in. How did the rest of you do it?? Thanks

You can get AN adapter fittings to go from the factory hardline flare fitting to -6 AN line. If you keep your factory radiator cooler you will need a 180 hose end fitting as well .
greg

The stock transmission line is 5/16" OD, and the stock fittings are Inverted Flare (male nut, double lapped steel tubing).

If I understand you right, to install all rigid steel tube, you would need the male NPT to Inverted Flare adapter, such as those manufactured by Weatherhead Corp -- a good ,"real" autoparts store should have a wide assortment.

You'd need a double-lapped flare tool to properly fabricate the steel line. If you got lucky, a standard length pre-made brake line might end up being an acceptable length. I never get that lucky, though.

I'm scoping out a trans cooler install on my 87GN, the routing of a hard line looks difficult and I'd probably bend 10 lines before I got it right. I'm sorely tempted to use a a good quality AQP hose from Aeroquip, with 37degree AN flare ends, to install a cooler.

To mate to the stock hard line female tube union in the engine bay, an Aeroquip adapter # FCM2963-AN-06 would be required: one end is 6AN (for 37* flare hoses), the other end is male 1/2-20 inverted flare (5/16 OD tube).

I've just noticed in my Aeroquip catalog, that if you use their "socketless" line of AQP hose and fittings, they offer Inverted Flare hose ends (straight only). This could make for a cleaner install with fewer adapters.

The "socketless" line looks lots easier to fabricate than the typical steel outer braid hose. Pressure rating is less (250 psi) than steel braided (1000 psi), but 250 is still more than enough for oil coolers.

I've used Parker brand "push on" fittings and hose before in non-auto applications, the hose will burst before the fittings ever leak. Once on, the fittings are impossible to take off without cutting the hose -- they are very secure..