Converter Slippage

Mad_Trbo

To calculate converter slippage using the following formula:

Conv Slip% = [((RPM * Tire Height) / (Rearend Ratio * Trans Ratio * MPH * 336)) -1] * 100

Do I use the the tranny gear ratio the car is in for the MPH and rpm I am using?
For example

I am at 6150rpm 1st gear 39 mph do i use the trans ratio of 2.74?

To calculate converter slippage using the following formula:

Conv Slip% = [((RPM * Tire Height) / (Rearend Ratio * Trans Ratio * MPH * 336)) -1] * 100

Do I use the the tranny gear ratio the car is in for the MPH and rpm I am using?
For example

I am at 6150rpm 1st gear 39 mph do i use the trans ratio of 2.74?

Yes. You need exact tire height measurements to be accurate. Sidewall numbers are not accurate.

tire side wall height

so measure off with straight edge and ruler to get the exact sidewall heights?

I assume air pressure may change this number!!!

Holy smoke but no perspective

30% seems crazy.

so does this change as the mile per hour increases.

Just straight logic tells me know, it is strictly rpm.

30% without really thinking about it I don't know what this equates to for me in acceleration but it seems I am leaving quite a bit on the table

And from what I am seeing / understanding it is worse earlier on.

30% seems crazy.

so does this change as the mile per hour increases.

Just straight logic tells me know, it is strictly rpm.

30% without really thinking about it I don't know what this equates to for me in acceleration but it seems I am leaving quite a bit on the table

And from what I am seeing / understanding it is worse earlier on.

Its probably correct. You have to run the car till g force drops below a practical level to get an accurate slip number. Slip is likely 50% on a ratio change even though the g force is likely very high. Wat your concerned with is if the converter is able to couple near your shift rpm. My 2-3 is at about 52-53mph and its at about 3% slip at that point. On hte 2-3 shift it drops to about 5550 and the mph is around 92-93. So 40% slip. By the time im at 142mph in 3rd its back at 3%.

Actual driveshaft speed and engine RPM is the most exact way.

You can overlay the logs (if possible) and take a look at what is going on when you turn up the power all the way down the track. Slip #'s on the big end tell only part of the story. A G meter is a very handy tool to have in the data log.