Converter (I think stock D5) worth keeping - wiped crank bearings ...

Jan Larsson

I think I might know the answer already but thought I post up and see what you all think.

I wiped the crank bearings years ago and rebuilt the engine; at the time I suspected that the converter possibly ballooned hence the bearings went but not sure that was the case or not.

Anyway when I rebuilt the engine simply replaced the converter with a new one just to be on the safe side.

The original converter (as far as I know it's a stock D5 but not sure what previous owners done over the years) I kept and put away and bumped into it today looking for some other stuff and thought I could use the space for something else :)

So short question; worth keeping or not ?

Jan,
Kind of a hard question to answer as not enough info. Did you wipe all the bearings or just the number 2 thrust bearing? A ballooning converter will take the thrust out. Also if it's a real stock D-5 converter it will be stamped D-5 all the way around it.

Sorry yes Mike you are right left some details out typing this out yesterday :)

D5 stamped all the way around it however not sure if it's been messed with by previous owners or not, they were chasing better times at the track.

And yes thrust bearing worn down, could move crank in and out noticeable prying the flywheel end in and out; that's how I noticed it along with other issues (knock etc.).

Anything else I left out let me know !

JAn