COMP CAMS Hyd Roller?

UNDRPSI

Anyone had any experience with one of these new comp cams hydraulic rollers? I am considering one of the 218-212s but I need to know what other components are needded? I have a set of Comp retro fit hyd rollers out of a sbc. Are these the rollers that I need? Also do I need a cam plate or a button? What other parts/mods will I need?

I just put in a 212/212 and hope to fire it up tonight. There are differences of opinion on valve springs and anti-walk. Some say LS1 springs with extended retainers to increase installed hieght to 1.750 (as I recall), while others say the LT1 (LT-1?) springs are fine. Some say to use the PTE antiwalk button that gets shimmed to the proper end play, while others sya the stck style spring loaded button is OK.

I went with the springs that cam with my new econo-ported heads. Not sure what they are (never got a straight answer except that they are OK with the roller:rolleyes: ) and the upgraded (stronger spring) stock style roller button. I ordered a PTE but I think they sent me a button for the billet cams because it did not fit. It also had a bearing and I thought that the ones for the new style had a nylon button.

Comp figures on an 8.2" pushrod and that would have been about right (.0375" preload) for me. I ordered Sealed Power 8.21" but they averaged 8.195" when compared to my adjustable.

Lifters are Comp 853X. 853 are supposed to be the same according to Comp. I sure hope so because I have 10 853X and 2 853 due to one of the original 853X being DOA. They also fit sbc. If yours are Comp they should have the number on them.

I'll try to post results if it fires up OK.

HTH,
Tom

So the comp cams is not a billet? I will call them and let you know what they tell me. Thanks

The "new" ones in the 2003 catalog (69-200-8, 69-300-8 & 69-400-8) are NOT billet. They do have billet that are ground on odd fire blanks and require modification to install in our even fire engines, or at least as I understand it.

HTH,
Tom

If they are not billet are they going to have the same trouble as the non billet rollers from a couple of years ago?

NO. they are ground on the -8 core wich is what most of there oem style cams are ground on.

You need the PTE anti walk button or you can kiss all those 853's goodbye. :)

I learned all this from comp cams direct.

I just took mine out. If your block is worn where the cam rides as it enters the front of the motor the lifters will pickup adj lobes and tear thingsup quick. If your block is NOT worn you should be good. Keep in mind we are talking about 2-4 TENTHS only so if you even think the block is worn don't bother.