COME IN HERE ...ITS ABOUT AUDIBLE KNOCK DETECTOR VS SM

Fast4Ward

FOR WHO HAVE ONE, DOES YOUR AUDIBLE KNOCK DETECTOR REACT TO WHAT YOU SEE ON THE SCANMASTER?
I'VE HAD IT FOR A FEW YEARS AND WONDERING ...SM WILL SHOW AND AUDIBLE WILL NOT AND VICE VERSA. THE AUDIBLE SEEMS NOT AS SENSITIVE BUT WORKS. TROMP ON IT HARD AND THE AUDIBLE GOES OFF AND SM SITS SHOW'S NOTHING. RARELY ITS GOES OFF ON START UP WHICH IS GOOD AS IT TELL ME ITS STILL ALIVE. HOWEVER THEY HAVE WORKED TOGETHER WITH AUDIBLE SOUNDING ON THE MINOR KNOCK SM DISPLAYING.
GUESS MY QUESTION IS, IS THE AUDIBLE FASTER OF THE TWO?

audible would be faster ,
SM can be as slow as 1.3seconds between updates depending on chip coding
audible generally takes 3-4degrees to go off full buzz and may chirp if the knock signal is high but low repeat rate
also some chips like TT chips use knock ignore in first gear ( i think its up to 35mph) to avoid pulling timing from false kr generated from launching
your audible doesnt have any ignore feature and may go off if there is activity from the esc sensor since its signal is not filtered by the chip

what you have to understand is the KR is 'knock retard' on the SM which is an effect caused by the chip taking action by retarding timing based on what it sees from the esc sensor, its not knock being displayed on the SM and it is filtered
the ecu doesnt always pull timing when the knock detector hears noise ,it looks at the signal from the esc module and determines if the noise it hears is loud enough (severe knock ) or repetitive enough (light knock thats steady) to warrant pulling timing and how long to keep it pulled before it returns to normal timing

does that make the audible wrong ...no , it means there is knock and it may be from driveline but it may be from tune too much timing , not enough fuel, not enough octane or too much boost. look at the tune if it looks good then its probably false KR
if the chip ignored it and your audible went off and it doesnt knock in higher gears and the o2s at time of kr were 800s you could assume that its false driveline knock
but if you reviewed tune and saw that it had low 02s or still had kr at higher gears that your tune is off and needs more fuel (or less boost) or more octane ( increase alky or run less timing)

audible would be faster ,
SM can be as slow as 1.3seconds between updates depending on chip coding
audible generally takes 3-4degrees to go off full buzz and may chirp if the knock signal is high but low repeat rate
also some chips like TT chips use knock ignore in first gear ( i think its up to 35mph) to avoid pulling timing from false kr generated from launching
your audible doesnt have any ignore feature and may go off if there is activity from the esc sensor since its signal is not filtered by the chip

what you have to understand is the KR is 'knock retard' on the SM which is an effect caused by the chip taking action by retarding timing based on what it sees from the esc sensor, its not knock being displayed on the SM and it is filtered
the ecu doesnt always pull timing when the knock detector hears noise ,it looks at the signal from the esc module and determines if the noise it hears is loud enough (severe knock ) or repetitive enough (light knock thats steady) to warrant pulling timing and how long to keep it pulled before it returns to normal timing

does that make the audible wrong ...no , it means there is knock and it may be from driveline but it may be from tune too much timing , not enough fuel, not enough octane or too much boost. look at the tune if it looks good then its probably false KR
if the chip ignored it and your audible went off and it doesnt knock in higher gears and the o2s at time of kr were 800s you could assume that its false driveline knock
but if you reviewed tune and saw that it had low 02s or still had kr at higher gears that your tune is off and needs more fuel (or less boost) or more octane ( increase alky or run less timing)

GREAT explaination!

To the OP: I don't have SM but I have an audible detector and so far it matches Powerlogger which it should. I trust the beeper 100% and when it goes off I let up then review the log file.

ks

^^^^ yes most excellent.

My SM always shows knock retard when my Caspers audible detector beeps.

My sm and my audible match up perfectly. Btw, my audible goes off everytime at startup and so does a friends. Anyone else have this?

Connecting the positive wire to the ACCY feed should eliminate the beep at startup, if I remember correctly.

My sm and my audible match up perfectly. Btw, my audible goes off everytime at startup and so does a friends. Anyone else have this?

Most times mine does. Not every time. I used to be pissed at it now I look at it as a self test that it is working.

I wonder if the OP is having the same issue a buddy of mine is having with his Caspers knock gauge?? The thing lights up constantly sometimes pegs to the red but scanmaster and power logger pick up nothing...