Colder Weather and Alky Injection

TurboBuRick

Staff member
Pre throttle body alky injection becomes a motor killer when air temps drop below 60*f. Now that we are starting to see colder temps the potential for motor damage is magnified. Be aware!

AFR correction just makes thing worse and will further contribute to a meltdown.

I suggest turning boost down to a level the main fuel can support. 17- 18psi on 93oct.

RL

A few years back a local owner did some testing. Going from 95 to 35F, a +15% fuel adjustment was needed. Sounded like a lot at the time so . . . . . I calculated it and it was confirmed to be in the ballpark.

Hopefully, someone can confirm.

I tried mine @ 48* and the alchy "blew out the wicke" w/in a second of going to full boost.

thanks for the heads up.
this is one of them things thats easy to over look especially since the car feels like it has a few extra HP in this cold weather.
Example - I took mines out last night for a quick drive and it felt so damn good that i pushed it a little bit, and i normally drive SLOOOWWWW.

i've hit mine at 25 psi and 35* weather.....fastest the car ever went and no problems......

"Pre throttle body alky injection becomes a motor killer when air temps drop below 60*f. Now that we are starting to see colder temps the potential for motor damage is magnified. Be aware!

AFR correction just makes thing worse and will further contribute to a meltdown.

I suggest turning boost down to a level the main fuel can support. 17- 18psi on 93oct. "

Never heard of this before, the only thing I can think of is if the fuel supply was not able to keep up. I personally run the same amount of boost #25 lbs with Alky Injection, a/f correction, yr round. But in the colder months it takes longer for the oil to warm up, which is what I gauge, by watching the pressure drop down to the 20 psi when hot, then I feel comfortable going WOT, I don't like to go any higher rpm then necc yr round until the oil comes up to temp and flows quicker.

Chuck

Hmmm....interesting thread.
I have heard of this being an issue from one of the locals.

Just ask Bill (BadAssGN) about it.

I have been running 25lbs of boost plus alky year round no problems yet!! It's going on 5 years. 100% meth no mixtures here!!

i've been running alky for 6-7 years, most of them on a stock long block....never had an issue.....just recently started seeing threads about this and also wondering if it's another issue......i was 50/50 with water, up until this year.....

Rick is this just because with the cold weater we are gaining a couple psi? Couldn't you just lower your boost to your target that it was set at before the cold weather? Wouldn't you just have to re-tune by lowering your boost down to 17psi and then just keep tuning till you get back to 25psi?

Here's what I've learned so far. I'll try and explain in simple terms.

As intake air temps drop alky will no longer vaporize. (Alky needs heat to flash to vapor) The intake manifold cannot equally distribute liquid the way it can vapor resulting in the back of the motor getting the majority of the alky.

A wideband will see this as a rich condition and pull fuel if you are using wot correction. Front cylinders on the edge start to meltdown. Dual nozzle alky shooting 25gph really have to worry IMO.

Hopefully Bison will chime in. He knows more than me. I wanted to get this out for people to understand the potential for disaster. I have a customers motor apart now that suffered a meltdown.

RL

TurboBuRick said:

As intake air temps drop alky will no longer vaporize. (Alky needs heat to flash to vapor) The intake manifold cannot equally distribute liquid the way it can vapor resulting in the back of the motor getting the majority of the alky.

A wideband will see this as a rich condition and pull fuel if you are using wot correction. Front cylinders on the edge start to meltdown. Dual nozzle alky shooting 25gph really have to worry IMO.

Hopefully Bison will chime in. He knows more than me. I wanted to get this out for people to understand the potential for disaster. I have a customers motor apart now that suffered a meltdown.

RL

Would that cause something like this?

image-917768358.jpg

2 1

Well that sucks!! I was so happy with how strong the car felt this past days.. So keep it under 20lbs? Ither way is time to put the car away, with this rain and my worn out mt, i prob. Kill my self.. Thanks for the heads up..

RL
so, how about if you turn the wb correction off? this is the first year i've had/used it, so maybe that's why i've never had a problem?

so, how about if you turn the wb correction off? this is the first year i've had/used it, so maybe that's why i've never had a problem?

Are you single or dual nozzle? The GPH has allot to do with it. I have yet to see a complete meltdown with a single m15 but it can still beat on 1 and 2 cylinder.

One of my first motors I ran for a few years with a single nozzle. When I did take it apart the head gaskets (cometics) got the hell beat out of them on 1 and 2. One of the layers toward the valley was missing on #2 but they still held. Funny thing the car ran fine and there were no signs of any issues. I look back now with a better understanding and realize what was going on. I drove that motor hard for a few years. Even in the winter. It's my opinion the colder weather months took it's toll. I'm pretty confident in that.

Number 2

2 1

Looks like a clear cut case. Luck is on your side. ;)

Shutting off wot correction is not the fix but may help in certain situations. Mine has been off for a while. I keep a eye on the afr gauge.

Ive pushed number 1 gasket in the summer time with temps in the 80* range, same amount of alky.

what would be the cause then?

Did #1 go lean? How'd the plug look? That usually tells the story. Also what kind of gasket?