Cold cranking amps

1quick6

Shadetree Mechanic
My Thrasher chip won't let me start the car unless it sees over 10 volts at startup. Other chips work fine. The new battery I have in there now is a WalMart Everstart battery with about 525 CCA. I just can't get it to start the car with this particular chip since voltage is dropping below 10. If I buy a better battery with more CCA, will this keep me from dropping below 10? I was thinking of getting one with over 700CCA. I hate not being able to drive with my favorite Thrasher chip.

525 is pretty weak, especially for Iowa, where it DO get COLD! I've used Thrashers for years, with no problems, but I have a much bigger battery than you do! Must make a difference.

Well, the battery replacement did it. The "new this year" battery I had with 525 CCA went back to the store and I replaced it with a 700 CCA battery. Now, the car starts just fine with the Thrasher chip. It's a good thing Wal-mart will take back anything. I only used it for a day. ;)

I can't remember, for sure, but I think that maybe the Thrasher with the anti-theft trick doesn't work well with low voltage, and the other Thrashers are Ok. But since you got another battery, it doesn't matter. I have both types of Thrasher, but the anti-theft one is such a pain if you take the car to a shop, or go somewhere with valet parking. I like other anti-theft tricks better.

Did your fuel pump kick on when you put the Walmart battery in? I put a new battery in mine the other day and now mine won't start. It's a 650CCA Do I need a 700+CCA battery?

I use the highest rated amp battery i can fit in the engine compartment stock location. The one in there now is an Autozone duralast gold with 1,020 CA and 850 CCA.