code 42 still

The only time I've ever seen a 42 is when testing ignition control modules & coil packs. It will throw 42 if the module bracket (1 bolt, 2 nuts) isn't fastened tightly.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
ok thanks, I'll have to check that. I've done about everything and about to give! I think the mechanic shop is wrong with what they said about it being cam sensor.

I chased the same problem for a while and found the cause by accident. Where the ECM plugs up behind the battery, on the engine side of connector there's a 20 amp fusible link. My wire was coming apart where the wire goes into the fusible link. It fell off in my hand one day as I was unplugging it to change chips again. I installed a 20 amp inline fuse, checked all grounds and regrounded some, grounded fuel tank on both sides and haven't had a problem since. I could tell that the wire was fraying once I had the insulation off of it, I guess all the years of unplugging and plugging back up finally broke the wire.

Just the other day out of nowhere had a 42 show up on scanmaster and SES light came on while on my way back from a t-mobile store to my apartment. So last night i ohm tested the coil pack with my volt meter on Ohm setting and had gotten 12.46K Ohms on 6/3, 12.45K Ohms on 2/5 & 12.36K Ohms on 4/1. So i knew it wasn't coil pack related, so i just to verify the nuts on the underside that hold the ICM to the ground plate are secure unbolt the 2 nuts and bolt to inspect those. They were still super tight so i put it back on and make sure the nuts and bolt are completely tight on the bracket. Then i made sure the ICM connector was free of any debris, blew some canned air on the ICM pins the connector hooks on and the connector before ensuring the connector was seated well and the bolt was tight holding the connector onto the ICM. Then just to make sure the chips were seated properly in the ECM, gently applied pressure making sure they were seated well. I also took a can of air and blew around the area the chips are just to make sure wasn't debris near any pins. I also unhooked the ECM and blew out the connectors & pins on the ECM just to make sure wasn't any debris there. I plugged the ECM back up and fired her up letting her learn again, not sure what it was out of all i did but no code 42 and she's running very happily. No issues to report as of now ( the mal 23 went away after so many starts).
Maybe something to try, that will cure your mal 42 issues.
At least without replacing anything resolved the code 42 and she was code free prior to that out of nowhere 42 deal, which after i did the above never showed up again which i'm quite glad got cured.

Last edited:
Check for short to ground, 12v and all other wires on the crank sensor signal wires. Bend female terminals on module bulkhead for better contact and take a known good original module and see if you can duplicate the problem. I can see a junk module cause a 42. New doesn't mean good!

does cam sensor sound to you guys like a possibility? I'm so lost with it. I dont want to spend $600 and that NOT be the prob. It runs great until you give it much gas at all Or even if driving slow, when you get to 50 with no turbo, it starts cutting out

The only time I've ever seen a 42 is when testing ignition control modules & coil packs. It will throw 42 if the module bracket (1 bolt, 2 nuts) isn't fastened tightly.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
dont remember now exactly what it was but i know my crank is bent, so either way motor needs rebuilt. SO it's still gonna SIT for probably a year or 2 more. thanks for replies though guys.