CO2 for up pipe?

Ryan87GN

Grill Master
This might be un-related to this forum but here goes-

If you wrapped Co2 lines around the up pipe in a spiral fashion, and sprayed the up pipe, would it significantly cool the intake charge?

To me this is a hypothetical question raised by sheer boredom, but I would like to here some expert opinions on this subject. Some people spray the IC, but I wonder if the use of CO2 on an up pipe would compare to it.

I only ask because I have never heard of this being tested before, and I'm considering experimentations with CO2.

Any replies would be appreciated,
Ryan

my ricer turbo friend swears by that idea. i guesss it would work and you could recylce the c02 maybe. try it.

Kenne Bell use to sell an up-pipe plumbed for water. Nice idea.. zero et benefit.

Now they sell those air foils that look like a wing to go inside the pipe and have CO2 cool that. Still the expense in CO2 for a minor temp reduction, you can do that with water and achieve better results.

Alcohol totally different story since its a fuel.

LOL, Kenne Bell has sold alot of things that were really good ideas but had zero ET benefit.

There isn't enough surface area to the up pipe for it to be able to cool the intake charge significantly. You would have to spray the intercooler to get any real benefit and with our heavy @$$ stock IC's it would take a ton of CO2 to get it cool. You would be better off (money wise) to simply spray water or a nonflamable mix of water and alcohol on the IC to cool it down to slightly below ambient temps. Cheap as hell to set it up and it works pretty good to cool off a heat soaked IC.

Does anyone know about inserting a co2 nozzle in the exhaust inlet for the turbo to create full boost off the line. If not do ya think it would work. I think I have heard of nitrogen, probably because it is such a dry gas. I think co2 has moisture in it now that I think of it. Well let me know what you guys think.

Thanks for the responses.

I guess it was one of those theoretical questions that popped into my mind. I plan on playing with alky this summer, and when I do I'll probably go with your setup, Razor. On your website it looks nicer than the SMC kit, so you'll probably here from me around June.

Thanks,
Ryan

Originally posted by Ryan87GN

If you wrapped Co2 lines around the up pipe in a spiral fashion, and sprayed the up pipe, would it significantly cool the intake charge?

To me this is a hypothetical question raised by sheer boredom, but I would like to here some expert opinions on this subject. Some people spray the IC, but I wonder if the use of CO2 on an up pipe would compare to it.

I only ask because I have never heard of this being tested before, and I'm considering experimentations with CO2.

Ryan

I'd guess that for anyone living in "Beavercreek", boredom could be a problem!:D
As for the Co2, that's been tried and dismissed as the air, under boost moves thru that area so quickly, and the pipe surface area is so small, it has little time to release heat to the pipe surface....

Spend your time crating some excitement in Beavercreek!!;) :D

Originally posted by Ryan87GN

Ryan

I'd guess that for anyone living in "Beavercreek", boredom could be a problem!:D
As for the Co2, that's been tried and dismissed as the air, under boost moves thru that area so quickly, and the pipe surface area is so small, it has little time to release heat to the pipe surface....

Spend your time creating some excitement in Beavercreek.
Do a burnout in ft of the police station!!;) :D

Hey Chuck.. ya finally bought some tires I take it :D

Your were my idol at in the 11's at 135 MPH.. now your just one of them :D

Originally posted by Razor
Hey Chuck.. ya finally bought some tires I take it :D

Your were my idol at in the 11's at 135 MPH.. now your just one of them :D

Yep! I'm outstanding in my field!! Someone saw me there this morning!!:D :D :p

Next it's 9.60 at 145!:eek: :eek:

This post brings back some old memories, Years ago I had the Kenne Bell water cooled up pipe. We would fill it with liquid nitrogen. Just filling it was quite a task, it would boil and spit like crazy, but once it was filled it would ice up the up pipe like crazy. It never really went much faster, but we abandoned the project after finding large sheets of ice inside the pipe after it would sit for a couple of minutes. I cringed at the thought of swallowing an ice cube at full boost.

Oh the good old days, BTW Alky is more fun!

Beavercreek can get pretty boring, mainly becuase there aren't many fast street driven cars (other than local TRs). I've never been beat on the street, and my car isn't even that fast.

I was just thinkin about the idea of Co2 on either the ic or the up pipe because I could probably "borrow" some Co2 from work :D just to make a cheap set up.

Also while the experts are here - Is there any gain by spraying the intercooler with Co2 or N0S?

Thanks,
Ryan

What if you plumbed co2 through the intake. When I had my KB aftercooler on I ran ice water through the pipe then through the intake and would gain a tenth and a half.