Classic Plates

I just sent away for classic plates today at AAA. Any one else have these? If so how long does it take for the Pen Dot to send the plate? (I am talking about a Pennsylvania Classic Plate).

it took me about 1 week to get mine but i went thru a state rep.im not sure why alot of people do not run the classic my insurance went way down and exempt from emissions in my area.good luck

I figured I might as well do it. Can't beat only paying registration once. Mine shouldn't take too long if AAA taking care of it. The outside of my car is all stock, so I shouldnt have any issues with the photographs.

as long as the pics are clear and car looks good they are pretty easy to get 2 of my freinds got them this year no problems

I Was Considering Classic Plates, But Decided To Wait Till Jan. 2011. Then My '86 Will Be Considered An Antique. Then Only Pay For Then Registration Once & No Inspection Or Emissions Ever Again!!!:cool:

PennDOT

Can't really predict what PennDOT will do. I went thru AAA for my 87 in 2002 and received them promptly. In 2003 I submitted thru AAA for an '88 GTA but was rejected because the car was not 15 years old. AAA resubmitted and it was again rejected for the same reason...so I wrote to Sec'y Beihler asking what is their problem and promptly received a reply to submit to the attention of a Division Director who processed the request. My guess is that the folks at PennDOT use the fingers on their hands to count and when the number is over 10, they are at a loss. Good luck.

I will be going for antique plates for the 87 soon so I can to get it out of the PA inspection program (NB-NJ is eliminating their safety inspection program 9/1/10...another reason to move to the shore). Last year I got antique plates for my 83 motorcycle...PennDOT still required FOUR pictures (left, right....top/bottom??? no one at AAA could explain the need for four but they would not process the application without it) so good luck with PennDOT....anything can happen.

I Was Considering Classic Plates, But Decided To Wait Till Jan. 2011. Then My '86 Will Be Considered An Antique. Then Only Pay For Then Registration Once & No Inspection Or Emissions Ever Again!!!:cool:

I thought about waiting for antique, but those plates are ugly. Like the Classics much better.

I sent mine to PennDot and got the tag about 3 weeks later. I used the forms off of their site and sent them in with my pics, much cheaper than going through a tag/title place. I dont know how much the pics matter, my car had the GTA's on it at the time, and I had no issues.

The PA Antique Tags May Be Ugly.....But From 5 Ft Back They Look Just Like The Standard PA Tag. I've Seen Many Owners Creating A Sticker To Cover The Ugly (Model T?) Photo On The Tag.

Imagine A T-Type Emblem Decal Covering It....Or Even The GN (Jiffy Lube) Sticker Covering It ????

That's Probably What I Will Do :p

Not a bad idea at all. I didnt necessarily mean they're ugly, just not as cool as the white and purple ones. Dont understand why they did that with the Model T or whatever it is.

Driving at night in an antique vehicle

If you get antique plates you can legally only drive the car between sunrise and sunset.

This is an interesting question.
I run cars between stations for inspection and have discussed this issue with the station owners. It started when one mentioned that his friend received a ticket for driving his antique Harley at night in Bucks County. Since I have a 68 with antique plates, I researched the question and somewhere in 25 PA Code 75 there was a reference that lighting must meet current standards. Last month I took the required training and became a PennDOT certified safety inspection mechanic. During the course they reviewed section "175.66 (m) Antique Vehicle Lighting Exemption-An antique vehicle, if operated exclusively between the hours of sunrise to sunset and not during periods of reduced visibility or insufficient illumination, is exempt from requirements of this section except requirements pertaining to stop lamps." This was curious as antique vehicles are exempt from required safety inspections so I asked the instructor. His response was that antique vehicles driven at night must meet current federal vehicle lighting standards. I suspect he was thinking about vehicles operating on a 6 volt system or less. Thus the question is whether an 87 not having antique plates in 2013 will be able to pass lighting requirements and receive a safety sticker. Personally I think it will (meaning it meets federal standards).

There is another issue with antique plates. Most folks apply for antique insurance and in addition to the State constraints concerning usage, the insurance companies place their own constraints...where they are parked, mileage/vehicle usage, etc. Best check with your insurance company as to your proposed use.
RZ
PS: FYI, with regard to vehicles over 25 years, the State does not require them to have an operating odometer for safety inspection.