Clacky CC853 that holds preload ?

geargrinder427

Heavy with a alky habit
Okay I'm now in Bowling Green and have spent half a day on Saturday adjusting and readjusting the preload on all the CC853's using the adjusters on the T&D's and it still knocks like I have a collapsed lifter but nothing is loose like a collapsed lifter. The noise is metal to metal clack, not an exhaust leak or injector noise and is coming from the top. I set the preload to .030 and then to .050 and still the clack. I was told that these either work or they don't. The motor runs fine, does not miss or back fire and pulls when you punch it but it still clacks. Any one else experienced this ? I plan to replace them with either CC885's or the Morels through T/A performance when I get back home but thought I would get some input before running it hard on the 1/4 here in BG. I have the stuff to pull the intake again if needed. Thanks !

Check the long sticky on the clicky comp roller lifters above. IIRC the real issue is that the tie bars are too short. So when one lifter is on the base circle and the other on the peak of the lobe the tie bar bottoms and rotates the lifter a little to the side.

This is what causes the noise, which the pre-load setting won't help.

There are other reports of some excess noise from trash in the lifter body. This causes noise as the lifter doesn't always pump up properly. But sometimes is OK as the trash gets washed out.

RemoveBeforeFlight

My advise would be to go to zero preload/lash and run it this week and fix it when you get back home. If its a little noisy it shouldnt matter unless its picking up KR

He has a potential sticking lifter condition. If he runs zero it wont matter if they stick the valves will still close