Chip-Idle Question

Alan Faircloth

My 86 T-Type has all the fuel mods done, a TE-44 turbo, Racetronix 42.5 lb injectors, an ATR 2.5 inch down pipe, Hooker Exhaust with test pipe, and Red Armstrong 93 chip. The car runs very well and very strong. However, it doesn't idle particularly well (just seems to be a little rough/lopey or something). I was told that a different chip (either a Jay Carter or Thrasher) would probably idle better because of the open loop feature.

Is there anyone out there with a similar combination that has used or is using any of the three chips mentioned above? I'm interested in finding a good street chip for my combination that idles and runs well on 93 octane gas. I'm hoping to get some feedback before buying a different chip. I've also heard that Joe Lubrant (spelling?) burns a chip of his own that would work well with the above injector/turbo combo. I'm not familiar with the Red Armstrong chip, but was told it had a good bit of timing in it.

Also, anyone have any problems with the above combo running too rich? Those 42.5 lb injectors seem big to me. I was told that aside from changing them and going smaller, the only other option is to turn down the FP as low as possible.

Thanks for any input or comments.

Alan

There are many things that can affect idle quality - why do you lean towards the chip?

Idle vacuum?

Idle BLM?

As a point of information, I switched from an RA93 to any ME16, and the idle quality improved dramatically. I'm sure there are many reasons for this, most of which I won't pretend to understand, and your results may vary. At the same time, let me say that my GN is very well maintained and very low miles, so it doesn't suffer from some of the "maintenance" issues that may afflict other TRs...

And no, 009s aren't too big and no, they are not fat on the botton end and no, they aren't problematic when it comes to chip burning. You may have to do some digging here to attain the results you want, but don't give up on 009s...

:D

What are the IAC's on the car warm Idle in park? What about the TPS setting? Need to start here and work your way up.