Check bearing and change timing chain

Slix

Got the motor stripped down to the basics. Heads, lower intake, left the water pump and timing chain cover and oil pan on. Crank has the dampner and pulley on it.

Need to pull the pan to check main and rod bearings...

After I get them bearings all done, figured i could roll the block back on stand so the pans on bottom and then do the timing chain and water pump... then I can see if it has a stock cam. Then change the valve springs.

Any suggestions?

U need to pull the damper. The bolt is supposed to be torqued to 220ft lbs. is the motor out of the car ?

U need to pull the damper. The bolt is supposed to be torqued to 220ft lbs. is the motor out of the car ?
Yes, its on an engine stand. Figured I'd leave the dampner on till after I check the bearings so I can spin the crank as needed...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Use the flexplate to turn the engine. It's much easier.
True, still on there. Crank pulley should come off after bolts are out?

Then pull dampner with puller? After removing crank sensor?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I recently pulled my dampner (balancer). I removed the crankshaft bolt and the balancer slid off the crankshaft, no puller required. It's not necessary to separate the pulley from the balancer, unless space becomes an issue. You shouldn't have to remove the crank sensor to just remove the balancer.

Last edited:
I usually put the entire unit out in one big piece. Just remove the big bolt in the middle and the balancer, hub, and pulley will come off as one part. If you still have that goofy intercooler fan, it'll have to come off to gain access to the bolt, but that really should be removed before pulling the engine to avoid breaking it.

I usually put the entire unit out in one big piece. Just remove the big bolt in the middle and the balancer, hub, and pulley will come off as one part. If you still have that goofy intercooler fan, it'll have to come off to gain access to the bolt, but that really should be removed before pulling the engine to avoid breaking it.

No intercooler fan, and thanks for the tip... Didn't really want to touch the crank sensor, not sure how to clean it thou...

Thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated

The crank sensor bracket is going to come off when you remove the timing cover bolts. Make sure you don't miss the 3/4" long 'hidden' bolt above the oil pump cavity.

To clean it,just spray it with brake parts cleaner and/or compressed air.

The crank sensor bracket is going to come off when you remove the timing cover bolts. Make sure you don't miss the 3/4" long 'hidden' bolt above the oil pump cavity.

To clean it,just spray it with brake parts cleaner and/or compressed air.
Cholornated or non cholornated stuff?
Wondering if electrical contact cleaner might be better...

And when should these be tested/replaced, same thing with the cam sensor... Not sure how well they work. Saw mod kit too for the cam sensor