charging problem

Stephen Gibson

Just a participant,Honest
Hey guy's need some information,today 60 out so I pull the car out today and the car dies after a couple minutes.i put a new Battery in it last year and Alternator reads good output ,but I don't
have anything in the dash as guage cluster as I haven't installed my 8 guage cluster from Precision Instruments yet and a TR bud tells me he read that if the cluster isn't plugged in this can happen.Is this true and if so why? Thanks
Stephen

Cant answer the cluster question but the easy way to test is to get the car running, then test the voltage at the back of the alternator and at the battery, and see if the voltage is reaching the battery.

I read something to the effect of what your buddy said on this BB, something about the circuit is completed in the dash, but I dont rememer the exacts. Talk to Steve Wood, I remember he had the answer:D

Yes. the VOLT light bulb is part of the charging circuit. If it's blown or missing, the alternator won't charge the battery.

charging

Thanks guy's ,it's been awhile but only things I see are the optics
for speedo and a bulb in a socket and the bulb comes on when I first get car started then after a minute it goes out.I thought that light was for the service engine .
Stephen

Re: charging

Originally posted by Stephen Gibson
Thanks guy's ,it's been awhile but only things I see are the optics
for speedo and a bulb in a socket and the bulb comes on when I first get car started then after a minute it goes out.I thought that light was for the service engine .
Stephen

Optics for speedo? You meas the VSS? (Green module w/3wires)

Thet bulb is indeed the SES light. You need to find out which contacts are for the VOLT light (on the black male connector that plugs into the back of the speedo console when it's installed) and short them, or your system will not charge. WHy not just put the speedo console back in?

charging

I will as soon as the weather permits,just wanted to make sure this was the cause of the problem,I'm hoping for a little more snow or I'll go to Michigan to get the snowmobiling out of my system(F7 firecat) reminds me of my car just ungodly fast and
walking the 800's .I still haven't installed my T+ or Lt1 maf or my precision stall converter.My priorities are all wacked.THANK YOU
FOR THE INPUT IT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Stephen