Champion Blocks ?

Your story checks out. Just kidding you!
The short guy is Bob. The other guy is Jim. That alum engine is actually in that 61 Pontiac in the background of the second pic. I have chopped away on a set of those head castings to add raised ports. They also ended up with a similar fabbed intake like my 409 runs.
I believe that motor ended up in the 550 cube area. That was not ever possible until Bob made those blocks.
That pic was actually taken one year ago exactly this past Friday at Thompson Dragway.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Once he got serious about making the blocks how long did it take ?

I sent Bob an email for more info. He did heads first. That block in the pic was his first alum one.

Don't you think as the Buick 6's get more ancient most real serious racer's and street guy's will go LSX? I know I kick myself now for not going that route before spending the bucks I have on my engine.

You know I asked Nick Micale about TA doing a steel casting of their block and he told me there would be no difference in price between an iron block and an aluminum one. The bottom line seems to be that there would not be enough volume to get the price down to $2500 a pop like an LSX block goes for now.

Too bad for us.

Don't you think as the Buick 6's get more ancient most real serious racer's and street guy's will go LSX? I know I kick myself now for not going that route before spending the bucks I have on my engine.

lol why buy an expensive aftermarket block when you can run 8's with a 109?

Better yet a you can run 8's with a $500 junkyard LSx motor just ask, Dave Bamfiord!!!

Why because I read it on the internet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LMFAO!!

You know I asked Nick Micale about TA doing a steel casting of their block and he told me there would be no difference in price between an iron block and an aluminum one. The bottom line seems to be that there would not be enough volume to get the price down to $2500 a pop like an LSX block goes for now.

Too bad for us.
Reggie,
If you build a quality motor it cost no more or less to build the Buick V6 block included. Good rods pistons crank etc cost the same. Pistons are actually cheaper with the V6 since you only need 6. At the end of the day a apples to apples a quality Buick V6 build will cost the same if not LESS than a LSx motor in a turbo regal since there are less fab costs to put the motor in.

I agree with you Chris. I see more cost and time to try and build an LSX motor. I would prefer a TA block myself.

Once again I am reminded why I love the Buick crowd- They love to laugh their ass off, sorry , his F-ing Ass Off!

I will always have a v-6 in my car and I have a new 153 block that I've been sitting on for years that will get built soon. I Would say that we are lucky that TA and Champion Make all of the parts that they do. They are the backbone of the Buick v-6 racing and without their heads, intakes, TA's block and maybe Champions block the options in the future will become very limited.

Come on guys lets put some numbers together and sell some aluminum blocks.
What stock parts fit these blocks internal and external ?
lets say looking at making/handling 700 to 800 HP to the wheels, What would be the estimated $$$$ amount to building a COMPLETE short block? Including the purchase price?
there is a guy on here that is well respected and one comment that he has made a few times is "$300.00 junk blocks" this is always in the back of my head every time i think about dumping money into my current build or new v6 build.

lets say looking at making/handling 700 to 800 HP to the wheels, What would be the estimated $$$$ amount to building a COMPLETE short block? Including the purchase price?
there is a guy on here that is well respected and one comment that he has made a few times is "$300.00 junk blocks" this is always in the back of my head every time i think about dumping money into my current build or new v6 build.

Your over 10k without machine work and assembly

Complete TA that will spin 700-800 at the wheels...$15-17k
My stroker 109 will be close to 700 if not a touch over and it's close to $12k. That does not include the other items needed, like intercooler, tranny, FAST...etc.
I mean my damn driveshaft was $800!!!

Complete TA that will spin 700-800 at the wheels...$15-17k
My stroker 109 will be close to 700 if not a touch over and it's close to $12k. That does not include the other items needed, like intercooler, tranny, FAST...etc.
I mean my damn driveshaft was $800!!!

Lets not forget for the $3k you save you will still have an 8 headbolt, girdled oil leaking machine that is a piece of glass at that power level and weighs 50# more. If budget is a concern even a good useable scratch and dent S2 block is still a better choice and would cost the same. Pennywise dollar foolish IMO, besides do you think you will be happy at 700 rwhp and just stop? You have little choice with the 109.

FYI I have a mint 3.8 S1 block with 3.810 bore and steel caps I would be more than happy to drag up to Conneaut any weekend for $1800

I will always have a v-6 in my car and I have a new 153 block that I've been sitting on for years that will get built soon. I Would say that we are lucky that TA and Champion Make all of the parts that they do. They are the backbone of the Buick v-6 racing and without their heads, intakes, TA's block and maybe Champions block the options in the future will become very limited.
When you do build it post pics and a thread. I love to see performance buick builds which seems to be a rarity these days on this site.

Your over 10k without machine work and assembly

Here is what $10k gets you in the LSx world, try making a 1000 rwhp with this pile lol
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-19244611

If you shop around you can build a S2 motor for the same maybe a little more. For what I've seen S2 stuff selling for lately I would even say even cheaper if you shop around for a used setup. BTW that LSx motor is no where near drop in ready when you get it either.

FYI in most of the performance automotive world $10k is considered a budget build!

I shopped around with my S2, and I have around $11k in the complete engine intake to pan. This is with $1400 Crower rods and $1300 coated pistons.

Lets not forget for the $3k you save you will still have an 8 headbolt, girdled oil leaking machine that is a piece of glass at that power level and weighs 50# more. If budget is a concern even a good useable scratch and dent S2 block is still a better choice and would cost the same. Pennywise dollar foolish IMO, besides do you think you will be happy at 700 rwhp and just stop? You have little choice with the 109.

FYI I have a mint 3.8 S1 block with 3.810 bore and steel caps I would be more than happy to drag up to Conneaut any weekend for $1800
This is all true Chris. I looked for a Stage but it wasn't in the cards at the time. If I need another block, it will be the TA. I will stop at the current power level of this current engine due to no cage in this car. It's a street car and the thought behind the build was to build a 9 sec engine that I could run in the mid/low 10's on the street and have it live longer then a motor that is pushed to its limits.

Ok...I just heard back from Bob Walla. If someone had the jigs and fixtures already for their alum blocks, he said it should be possible to get iron blocks made for about $700 per casting. He is at $1000 for a 409 casting and $1000 for machine work. They charge by weight, not by what it is. Bob has been designing castings for decades so he has it down to a science. The huge cost is in the initial design of the forms. $50-60k easy he said. It's not cheap but very possible.