challenged by a cobra

pracingrev1140

ive been challenged by a 2003 cobra mustang . his mods are long tube headers, reprogrammed chip ,410 gears , pulleys . my 87 t has ta 49 ,turbo ,3 in down pipe, reds 93 chip, 307fuel pump 160 stat , adj FUEL reg 2 1/2 in exh. whats my chances of beat ing this guy . thanks RR:)

You did'nt say what kind of injectors you have , to be easy you need some 42 pnds injectors and you will run all over him. :cool:

If he can actually hook with those 4.10s, that's an easy mid-11sec car. Should be a great matchup if your tune accurate, and you're on alky or race fuel. I had a combo similar to yours, but with a PTE-44, that ran an 11.80@117+ on alky... sounds like a good race!

You're on pump gas? You'll get creamed. 42# injectors will only make his taillights less dim. You'd need a race chip, good gas and 22+psi of boost on a good launch to make it a race, IMO.
If you crank up the boost and run race gas, you'd have a better shot. With the mods you listed, the '03 should run over ~116-120mph depending on what size pulleys, driving, etc.
S.

ok guys thanks for the replys, i do have a 110 jay carte chip that i will be installing how ever i only have the stock injectors right now .i guees ill have to take my chances on the stock injectors with c 16 .any comments .:D

your combo with a street chip isnt gonna cut it. that cobra should trap 118+, while you'll be somwhere around 109-112 mph. you'll need a race chip and 25psi boost, slicks and a killer launch to beat this guy(if he knows how to drive his cobra) good luck, keep us posted.

Your chances?

Your chances?

If he can drive and hook- probably VERY slim if at all.

However, if you step up with higher boost, race gas or alky, and a set of good tires you will have a decent chance depending upon the launch.

It will be a good race - keep us posted.

20 bucks says the cobra won't hook, is this a race at the track or street? Roll or from a dig if its on the street? Stock injectors? thats pushing it, Buy some 38's at least and crank up the boost and you might get em. Those cars are wicked, my brother beat one at the track pretty bad 8.6 to a 8.0 in the 1/8th but the cobra was on street tires. You better run some good tires and launch as hard as u can. ;)

its actually going to be a street race , street tires and all .so im not looking for him, to be much of a threat.if he does beat me i will bring out my 9 sec lx mustang .

What's in the LX?
You've got a 9-second LX and wonder what it takes to beat an '03? I thought everybody in the Mustang world was up to speed on those cars.
You're probably not going to hook any better than he is. The difference is, a TR will fall on its face if you try to peddle it and lose boost. IMO, you'll only run "109-112" on race gas with at least 22psi of boost.
Where in Md.? I lived there for over 10 years and know lots of people all over.
S.

This post reminded me of the last time we went to the track. Another GN guy (FuzzyGN) was running the 87 with some Nittos and there was a Cobra there and the guy had his wife and young son with him. The 'Stang used slicks and was whippin' up on everyone he ran, pretty much. He lined up against Fuzzy and his wife told the kid "Daddy's gonna whip up on this car now". They launched and the Cobra got the jump but it looked by the 60' mark, Fuzzy took over and marched to the finish first.:D The lady muttered "oh" and that's when I left the stands to head back to the pits.

Originally posted by pracingrev1140
its actually going to be a street race , street tires and all .so im not looking for him, to be much of a threat.if he does beat me i will bring out my 9 sec lx mustang .

Where in md is this race gonna be? I would like to see it:D

well it s going to be in a small town out side of salisbury md . just hope its not to cold so i can get some traction . im not sure how good this guy can shift . but i feel if he even misses one gear his done . yes i do have a nine sec mustang but its carbed . so i dont keep up much with the new fuelies :)

Good luck. Every Cobra I have see run was in the mid 12s (highly modded) to high 13s (stock). I have seen a lot of TRs in the 14s and 15s. Of course my track is at 5800'.

injectors ?

I dont see why injectors would matter if you're tuned.

I think you're gonna get rocked unless you are setup for kill mode like the guys above said. If you have no alky, then make sure you get race gas and turn up the boost as high as you can go. I hope you have a scantool or a knock sensor.

Go for the kill, not half ass thats my opinion. Hopefully he cant hook.

Good luck.....

well im sorry to misinform every body, but i found out that the car im going toberacingin fact is not a 2003 but a 2002 cobra . so whats my chances now guys :cool:

I'am fairly certain no 2002 Cobras skipped a year in 02.

If it's an 03 and he can drive at all I don't see you beating him:(

If it's an 01 I would think you have a good shot.

OHHH PAAALEASE a 2002?, unless hes sprayin or has boost behind em you'll wax his A$$! make sure you lower the PSI in them back tires, You could take the sway bar off to. Do you have air bags? :D

There's no such thing as a 2002 Cobra.

I have no idea what you car is capable of, however, I am familier with late-model Mustangs.

A 2001 Cobra with those mods is a mid 12 to mid 13 second car, depending upon tires and the driver.

A 2003 Cobra with those mods is a mid 11 to mid 12 second car, depending upon the same.