Cell Phone Companies

mydesigner

BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!!!!!
What is your guys opinion on cell phone companies, I've been screwed by T-Mobile so lookin on, hated them anyways. I've heard bad things about Sprint, we also have Nextel, At&T and Cingular. I'm kinda leaning to Nextel cause the walkie talkie feature, a lot of guys I know use those phones at work and like them. Whats your opinion.

I was told that Nextel was only cheap if a company had a contract w/ them. But for a normal person, it would be expensive and you wouldn't get that "group discount" like a company gets. I have good things about Cingular. They change so damn much cause I know when I sign up for a plan, either some other company comes out w/ some better deal or your company comes out w/ something better.

What problems with T-mobile?

What sort of problems have you had with T-mobile? I have them over here and they do a fair job, although the company is in big-time money trouble. Just curious because I was looking into using them when I return this summer.

I had Verizon before I left for Germany. I had stupid little problems with billing that I had to take up with them... and some wierd technical problem that they had to get straight with my phone. I ended up getting a refund from them for that. But as far as reception and service... I did pretty well with them.

Yes, I've heard the same thing about Nextel.... I have a friend who owns his own company and has a deal with Nextel like that... so he just invites others to jump on the bandwagon.

Interested to know how T-mobile is doing over there.

Rob I would be intrested to hear what bad things you have been told about Sprint.

I have had Sprint for about 5 or 6 years and have had no problem with them. My area is covered very well with no dead zones. I have also put my home phone to forward calls to the cell phone when on trips across the country with no problem. Maybe I'm just lucky in where I have gone is in there service area.

I had GTE before Sprint and they were a real pain in the rear with lots of dead spots in my area so a call in or out did not last long if I was moving.

Take Care

With Cell phones carriers it is a hit and miss proposition. Service in some areas is great and stinks in others. Customer service seems to be dependant on who you get on the phone. The same thing goes for the phone manufacturers. I've had cell service for 14 years with various companies. The manufacturers and carriers continually make the products and services with planned obsolescence, requiring you to upgrade phones, ie " upgrading" the type of band, "upgrading" their network. Whomever you choose, shop around and get the shortest contract length possible because as soon as you sign up, someone else will come out with a better package, perhaps even your own carrier! Also investigate what planned upgrades to the system they are planning on implementing. The newer GSM system will make current phones NFG within 2 years. They won't offer that information unless you ask. You'll buy a phone now and in a year they tell you you'll need to upgrade. (read: $$):mad: This industry reminds me of the snake oil salesmen of years past.

About T-mobile, it probably is pretty good over there, since it is a European based company and only have been in the states for a little while. I had Sprint and I loved it, until I visit home and when I am in Oklahoma. Started do do some weird stuff. Like Joe 1320 said, it is a hit or miss kinda thing. I had good service w/ Sprint while I was in Georgia but after that, it stunk. I would try and ask people around your area and see what they think. Also, go to an authorized dealer like the Sprint store or some other big store that just sells their product. I would stay away from the small time dealers cause you might deal w/ the wrong one. Kinda hard to explain but trust me. Rob, I don't know if you ever heard of the Good Time Market (by Rodeo Cleaners) but they are the kind of people that I am talking about.

Cell Phones

I heard T-Mobile is what used to be voicestream. Good things about NEXTEL (i have a $50 plan) free incoming calls, no roaming, all digital signals, unlimited 2 way and long distance. Bad thing = no nextel tower no service - but pretty rare in a metro area.
I think they have a tryout period I believe , after that you can have to pay a cancellation charge . I like the 2 way cause it saves me $$ on a phone call - its going nationwide soon
only catch is the person your looking for has to have nextel too
I think Nextel also has 2 way messaging on the phones

we have been die hard nextel clients for a few years now...
love them, yes i we have the business plan. i put my chick into one that is a great deal hers is... unlimited everything for $150 month and my nephews is $70 for 500 minutes, all incoming free, free direct connect, free nights and weekends and free long distance. the only down fall is you buy the phone. no freebies here. nextel will soon be nation wide direct connect in the next 90 or so days... my girlfriend also runs her laptop off that plan and it doesn't cost a dime more.. Chick the nextel website for details, also, do not get any less than an i60 phone, spring for a i90c if you can..

I had Cingular for 5 years. I wanted a new cellie, they wouldn't sell me a new one without a new contract so I said SEE YA. I went with Nextel. I pay $50 a month for 900 minutes, free nights and weekends and unlimited Direct Connect...no long distance. For me it works since half the guys on my shift at work use it so we can coordinate impromptu raids and such off the radio. Also, my girl has Nextel, so I only use about 200 minutes a month. Yes, it's pricier...but I LOVE the direct connect. Just gotta deal wtih your pals beeping in and screaming "I'm a crackhead!" when you're keying on the radio or on a domestic battery call. :)

I use Cingular, and they're okay. Pretty good coverage in MS, I get the whole state as my local calling. I like the rollover minutes, since I don't use the phone a whole lot, and I only buy 250 min/month. My wife has Cellularsouth, good coverage in MS, and pays $50 for unlimited calling all together. She needs it. :D

Well.....being that I work for Sprint and Sprint PCS, I can say that Sprint has great products, and very good coverage, but I still have calls drop on me here in KC---their freakin' world headquarters!

As for customer service, the mobile phone industry just doesn't get it, and that includes Sprint. NONE of the companies offers good customer service, and most don't even know what it is. They obfuscate information on your bill, they hide phone numbers so you won't get to talk to an actual person, and they try to nickel and dime you to death. They all preach great service, but they just lie lie lie.

Not meaning to bite the hand that feeds, me, but the truth is the truth. Mobile phone companies are about like the airlines with their pricing schemes, and about like the government for their customer service. Ugh, get me outta here.

To add to what Doug said...They all suck. I dont care who...it depends where you are and when you use it. Nextel is great around the Boston area and 128 belt. Go 25 miles north into NH and they suck, I've had AT&T for 3 yrs now..in the past I've had cell one, verizon....they are all pretty much the same as far as I'm concerned...

Whether or not, where, and how much you travel out of your immediate area will have a strong bearing on your choice of cellular service.

I am always checking alternatives to the expen$ive AT&T One Rate plan, but AT&T is the only company to which I've contracted that afforded me service no matter my location.

What good is a company that drops your connection or doesn't offer service when you want to use your phone away from your home area?

I must be lucky, as I've experienced pretty good customer service from AT&T via the telephone and have learned which reps to avoid at my local store.

So, in conclusion, if it's unwavering phone service you need, I would recommend AT&T, despite the higher cost.

GET A NEXTEL!!!! I am 18 and in college and don't have much money to spend for a cell phone. I spend $40 a month and get unlimited nights and weekends, nationwide long distance, 400 anytime minutes and unlimited direct connect. For $20 more i could get 500 minutes and free incoming calls. I don't have that kind of $$ though and i don't ever use all of my minutes. The reason i like Nextel is that on most plans, they don't round up on your time. A 35 second call is 35 seconds, not 1 minute. The battery can go 3 days without needing to be charged, and i have my plan in maryland and live in indiana because of college. With soccer i travel a lot and most times, i am in the middle of no where. I get good service, my friends all get none. most of them have sprint. And if you drop your phone many times, it still works fine. My older brothers was ran over on a main road where the speed limit is 55mph. It still called out but the screen was all smashed out. They are great phones!! My girlfriend has a sprint phone and she always has roaming charges and she can't get service in her own house because of where she lives. I have no roaming charges EVER and i get almost full service in her house. Just my .02

Scott

hands down, in my area, verizon gives the best signal, but as all cell phone companies go, service sucks.:mad:

You'd be crazy to not get a Nextel. Soon everyone will have them. How else would you call across country for free? The 2 way is cool, and service has been good, as far as cell companies go. Only time I have a problem is in rural areas, but thats true of most cells. Plus you can do the text msg. thing too, even with people who don't have nextel. I do have a business, so its different, but all my friend have them too, with individual plans, and they aren't expensive. I've had damn near every type of cell phone, they all suck. And they all try to rip you off. I can say that my cell bills at work are way lower with the nextels vs. the others, since 2 way is free.

We were one of the first companies in our area to get nextels, so we experienced the "growing pains", i.e., server busy type problems, because it got big really fast, but that rarely happens now.

Like wakkoss said, keep it turned down. The first day we had 'em, I 2 wayed one of my guys when he was on a date, and said "Eric. This is God. Stop masturbating!" I found it funny, but he didn't. Some people. Oh well, he got over it.

NEXTEL, my wife and I just got them and we love it, she used to use one when she worked for a home builder...i had sprint for 3 years and overall service was crappy, the best place i had coverage was in puerto rico...granted i had an old crappy phone, but still...so far i have not one complaint with nextel...

Have had good luck with Sprints coverage so far. Its nice to go anywhere in the country and get Sprint. And it uses your plans minutes, no roaming if you are in PCS land. Have had bad luck with Cingular, thats what i have for work. Sucks bad.

Scott

"Sam This is God",,Stop .................................:D :D ;)

Go with NEXTEL my plain is 1000 peak min 6000 night and weekends and unlimited 2 way radio for $54.95