Caspers Coil Tester

Hi,

I am using the tester and seems to be working fine but I can not turn it all the way up without it shutting off.
It gets up to about 3/4 turn on the dial.
It is creating plenty of spark, almost constant then goes out. All the coils stop. I have to turn it off and wait a moment to restart test. After it is shut off I get some random fading sparks.
Is that normal? Can you not turn it up to max setting without it cutting out completely?

Thanks, Mike

it should still be firing to full on knob.
could be your module
try on another ignition module

I have that tester, when I tried it on an aftermarket coil and module, it would do the same thing. When I tested it on an OEM coil and module, it worked all the way to max setting.

Hi Guys,

Thanks,
I called Caspers, Should be able to go to Max 8000 Rpm +/-
Paul was correct Looks like a Bad Module, it can only drive 2 coils up to Max. I will pick up another Module and give it a try. I will let you know how I make out.
The tester is a very Cool piece.

Thanks, Mike

did you read the instructions?

did you try to swap the yellow and green coil wires and see if it moves , if it still misses on the same coil its the coil pack , if it moves its the module

heres the instructions

Attachments

• coil pack tester.pdf
    310.1 KB · Views: 126
Yes, I did.
No matter what Term the Y/G/B wires were on, All spark would go out like switch was turned off. (That's what was throwing me)
I left 1 wire off at a time Y/G/B, & Turned it all the way up deep blue spark on just 2 coils. Just can't drive all 3 at once.

Thanks,

not leave off, switch them
if the center coil isnt working thats the green wire that triggers them
put yellow wire on center coil and green on end coil and see if the center coil fires , if it still doesnt fire on the center the coil is bad

coil pack wiring

Attachments

• coil.jpg
    coil.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 87
also what is the voltage at the battery you're using for the test , a low battery and the tester wont perform properly

I switched them around at first all connected just on different term Like the instructions say, All spark goes out at once.
Then I tried leaving 1 coil disconnected. That's the only time it could be turned up all the way. Deep blue spark on just 2 coils.
I switched that around to the other coils they all fired So the Coil pack is good. Module is bad.

Thanks,

I was originally using jump start box 12.7 to 13.1 volts.
Thought that may be the problem also tried on the car same results.

Thanks, Mike