CAS V2 FMIC FOR SALE

I would recommend reading up on intercooler design before you equate the size of a horizontal flow IC with superior performance.

The more surface area there is inside the IC charge air passages, the more likely a "boundry layer" of air is to form along the walls, causing a reduction in the effective area of travel, and an increase in friction as the air in this layer is now essentially still or stagnant. This friction is good for thermal efficiency and heat transfer, but bad for preventing pressure drop. More friction=more pressure drop.

When the IC core is large enough to where the boundry layer is formed over a large portion of the core, you remove energy from the air, and the pressure loss increases as well.

To quote www.enginebasics.com ; "This is just one reason why 'bigger' isn't always 'better' "

My V1 weighs 29.5lbs.
My Cottons FMIC with a Spearco core weighs 28lbs.

I understand all that.. we are talking about a car that's 9.50 and faster or a 1000hp, not an 11 sec car, a v2 as efficient as it is I highly doubt its going to perform better (at those level's) then an rjc-475 which is twice as thick... anyway we shouldn't be stomping all over this guys forsale thread with tech debates..:eek:

I understand all that.. we are talking about a car that's 9.50 and faster or a 1000hp, not an 11 sec car, a v2 as efficient as it is I highly doubt its going to perform better (at those level's) then an rjc-475 which is twice as thick... anyway we shouldn't be stomping all over this guys forsale thread with tech debates..:eek:

I agree.

Let's take this to my build thread in the E85 section. I've been wanting to have a IC design discussion for a while now.

You know where my build thread is at, right?

OP- Sorry for interrupting your thread. Best of luck with the sale!

I agree.

Let's take this to my build thread in the E85 section. I've been wanting to have a IC design discussion for a while now.

You know where my build thread is at, right?

OP- Sorry for interrupting your thread. Best of luck with the sale!
Ok I will find it (y)

Yes I believe your right.... my car went 1020 and has 9 sec power before I just made a few key changes in the last 2 months ... so I’m just preparing for the ic change that will need so I swapped now so I benefit from the most pressure drop as I continue towards that mid to low 9 sec power ... thanks for all the info

King kong- am I still first in line for the V2 if the sale this weekend falls through?
Yes you are..... and thanks for all the info ... that’s exactly why I’m changing because the power level I am at now and shooting for the 475 is a good fit for me.... i know I’m going to gain some weight but the performance more than makes up for that.... I’m very close to that cross road “ Stage Motor “ so the 475 will be one thing less I have to change later and it will for sure help me get to the mid - low 9s better than the V2

Yes I believe your right.... my car went 1020 and has 9 sec power before I just made a few key changes in the last 2 months ... so I’m just preparing for the ic change that will need so I swapped now so I benefit from the most pressure drop as I continue towards that mid to low 9 sec power ... thanks for all the info

Not trying to be an ass by any means, but you don't benefit by having a lot of pressure drop across your IC core.. pressure drop means you are losing boost pressure because the intercooler core is so restrictive it causes the pressurized air coming from the turbo to become less dense, which means you lose power...

If you figure each PSI is worth about 8-12hp. You have an intercooler with 4psi of pressure drop, that means that at the turbo-coming out of the compressor housing is,let's say, 25psi. If you have 4psi of pressure drop across your IC, then by the time the air comes out of the IC it is no longer at 25psi. It is at 21psi. You just lost 4psi due to pressure drop. You just lost 48-60hp because of your intercooler.

Not only did you lose HP, but in order for the engine to see 25psi, that means you must spin the turbo to 29psi, working it harder and making the turbo spin faster-which can cause the turbo to become inefficient (depending on where you are on the compressor map) and start pushing hot air.

Not trying to be an ass by any means, but you don't benefit by having a lot of pressure drop across your IC core.. pressure drop means you are losing boost pressure because the intercooler core is so restrictive it causes the pressurized air coming from the turbo to become less dense, which means you lose power...

If you figure each PSI is worth about 8-12hp. You have an intercooler with 4psi of pressure drop, that means that at the turbo-coming out of the compressor housing is,let's say, 25psi. If you have 4psi of pressure drop across your IC, then by the time the air comes out of the IC it is no longer at 25psi. It is at 21psi. You just lost 4psi due to pressure drop. You just lost 48-60hp because of your intercooler.

Not only did you lose HP, but in order for the engine to see 25psi, that means you must spin the turbo to 29psi, working it harder and making the turbo spin faster-which can cause the turbo to become inefficient (depending on where you are on the compressor map) and start pushing hot air.

I think he men't to say he will benefit from less pressure drop going to the 475 over the V2.

I think he men't to say he will benefit from less pressure drop going to the 475 over the V2.
Thanks Boost 231 ...Good look on fixing my words on what i was trying to say :):) Im by no means an expert at this i still have a lot to learn...

I hear ya.

From people I would trust with my life, I've heard people use the 475 and have 6psi of pressure drop across the core...

I don't see the V2 having 6psi of pressure drop, IMO.

Btw- OP, did this V2 sell? If not, I am still first in line, right?

Will you be testing the 475 Tyler? I'd be curious to see of thats true. I don't see how thats possible but I haven't seen any data.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Will you be testing the 475 Tyler? I'd be curious to see of thats true. I don't see how thats possible but I haven't seen any data.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Yes.

I am working with certain US intercooler manufacturers to design 2 cores; 1 "small" one that supports 1,100hp with less than 2psi of pressure drop. The second is the "large" version that supports 1,600hp with the same pressure drop. The large core will be compared with the 475 and possibly the old ATR FMIC.

The person testing the IC currently has a RJC 475 and will be testing both ICs for temp drop, pressure drop, and performance. Unfortunately it is taking longer than we hoped to get the cores produced, so it is about 2 months away, but they are in the works.

I hear ya.

From people I would trust with my life, I've heard people use the 475 and have 6psi of pressure drop across the core...

I don't see the V2 having 6psi of pressure drop, IMO.

Btw- OP, did this V2 sell? If not, I am still first in line, right?

When your done testing with the V2 .. you can send it my way :)

Yes.

I am working with certain US intercooler manufacturers to design 2 cores; 1 "small" one that supports 1,100hp with less than 2psi of pressure drop. The second is the "large" version that supports 1,600hp with the same pressure drop. The large core will be compared with the 475 and possibly the old ATR FMIC.

The person testing the IC currently has a RJC 475 and will be testing both ICs for temp drop, pressure drop, and performance. Unfortunately it is taking longer than we hoped to get the cores produced, so it is about 2 months away, but they are in the works.
Hey Tyler, did you want to purchase this V2 just to test it?