car just says no more, pop pop pop???

wicked_TurboLV

wana race my lowrider???
ok check it out today i started my car up and its been a long time since i just finished putting it back together. I got the car to start with eaze and it idled goood and sounded good so i decided to take it out for a spin. i was able to drive down about 2 miles down the road with no problems untill the car began to stutter and pop. it keep gettign worse untill it just kept shutting off on me. it only does this once it reaches a certain temp. 180 and if i let it sit for about 30 minutes it will start up and drive again untill it reaches 180. if you try to start it after it dies the car just sounda like it wants to explode, it just sits there and shocks and pops and begines to make this high piched whistle that just keeps sounding higher and higher, like if ready to blow off a piece or somthing. what could it be that once the car reaches a temp it begins to act up on me please help. thanks

how long are the push rods? What was the lifter preload when it was assembled?

What cam retention method was used?

edit,,,oh yea....what springs? what installed hieght? what installed height pressure?open pressure? which valve seals? Did you check for coil bind? Still running the stock rockers or 1.65 's?

repliying for wicked turbolv

-the push rods are 8.200
-i'm still using the stock rockers
-i dont really know the lifter preload but the windows( machinist calles it) were just above half way to the top. there is no play (up n down) on the pushrods.
- the cam is a 214/214 roller from comp. didn't degree it.
-the springs are some new honey comb style(320-350#)
-dont know the installed hieght, pressure, open pressure, don't know what seals he used, didn't check for ciol bind.

it's funny cause your the only one to bring this up, and lots of the other appreciate help say it maybe the coil or module which i don't think it is, i hope we didn't mess something major up just excited to go to the West Coast Nats. just wish someone could see for them selves in person cause we could be explaining things thats hard to understand or just wrong. thanks again

The reason I ask those questions is because a roller set up in buick is alittle hard in my experience to get right. I ve seen them be very close to right but just enough wrong to cause problem.

its possible to have it right when its cold then when it gets heat in it it could be hanging the valve open. or coil bind etc....

I d be surprised if there was a spring available that went 350 open on a stock head. ie with out cutting the seats.

The largest I ve seen is 300-305 used with the rollers....when tested at the valve lift and ussually it is pretty darn close to coil bind......

i just called our machinist and he said that the coil bind is 1.085 and that we are an 1/8 inch away, and at lift its 305#'s and 140@installed hieght. when we braught the car to him yesterday he told me it sounded like fuel, spark, ignition. hope i made sense of all this. do you think that when the coil gets hot it could cause this because i had a 66 nova that sorta did the same with its bad coil but it didn't have a computer which im sure you know. again i thank you for the help and knowledge.

kinda hope it is the coil/module now.

I d like to know what springs you got....those numbers are good........just for my own curiousity can you ask him the installed height?

I hope it fuel/ignition/electrical.....those are easy to fix when you find em.....

Do you have a scan master? direct scan? or turbo link?
Sometimes....and I hate to say it.....is get ahold of known good spares....like from a freinds car thats running good.....and change out the coil, ecs module, ecm etc.....another thing it could be is a on the edge crank sensor? Did you set it at .028?

We do have a scan tool but just don't know what to look for and the crank sensor is probably bad. we broke one of the fins off and went to the part stores, but they didn't have the fins on them either so we just put it on anyway.

Edgar askes what the back spacing is on the wheels or whatever you guys are talking about. I'll let you know tomorrow about those springs. Thanks, Danny

If you have a damaged crank sensor thats probably it.....they sell it at most parts stores though.....engine code 7;)

I think the wheels are 5 " back sp but not sure, we had them on craigs GN, but never went to the track on them , only took it on the nittos and went 12.0's @115