Car is dead. Need an alternator

Ryan

CEO/Founder Nakslist.com
Was in Honolulu getting my car inspected when i started to idle funny. Totally died. The volts were at 8. Jumped it, started right up then died in a few minutes. When I jump it the volts are at 11 and watch the scanmaster and it slowly drops till it dies. Anyone have a correct type alternator for sale or know a place where it can be rebuilt? Don't think any place would have a 140 on the shelf.

P.S. Nice towing bill from Hono to Kbay.

I got mine rebuilt by Jeff at Waynes Auto Electric on Queen St. I think I paid $60.

Charged the battery all night (slow charge). Car starts right up and reads about hi 13 to low 14v on the scanmaster. Disconnected the negative battery cable and the car continues to run. WTF????

I think if the car didn't run after disconnecting the battery cable, you would have a problem. I know it's not recommended but thats one way I've always checked to see if my charging system was up to par (backyard brokehanic style).:cool:

Think it's 10% off for military discount.

Disconnecting the negative battery cable takes the battery out of the picture and will let you know if the alternator is generating electricity to power the car. I think. :)

Still does not explain why it died and had very low voltage.

That disconnecting the neg cable will not work on our cars. Did you do a load test on the batt? Sounds like the Alt is working.

What is the best way to test the alternator.... Off or On the car? Anyone know a place that can check it in Kbay or Kailua? Checkers machine is broke they can only check it on the car.

Think this is one of those problems that comes and goes. Hope it's the alternator... that would be an easy fix.

If youre still looking for a alternator, I have a Bosch one correct for our cars has less than 50 miles on it. Hows $40 sound.

Turbo D, Let me bring the alternator to a shop and check it out. Give me your number and I'll give you a call if I need it. Is it a 120?

You can't read the voltage off the scanmaster because it's wrong.

Get a multi meter and read it off the battery and make sure your both of battery connections are good.

Is the idiot light dim or on when the car is running?

Give me a call if you still having problems 864-7548.