Car Covers...

I want one, but its the principle right now, they have my cover,with the return authorization # so they can refund my money, but they havent. maybe I'll e-mail them the link to this thread, so they can see what the public reads about this, I'm really dissappointed with this, my cars been without a cover for 2 months now, except for the cheap one someone gave me <helps a little> The bottom line is that I bought the cover to protect the original paint, not f**k it up!:mad: if they have a problem with the fabric, they should stop making covers from it until they figure out what is going on with it.

Update

I got a message from the Insurance company late yesterday, saying that they are going to take care of this claim, so I have to call him Monday and see whats up i.e. details, how much when etc, I'll keep you guys posted. -Rob

Anyone try

Wheathershield or superweave (same material, different seller)? I may go this route too, I really havent decided yet. Any droup price on the Sunbrella yet Paul?

New Update

Covercraft industries, as well as Kimberly-Clark (fabric manufacturer) have been aware of thi problem for over one year. This occurs on a small number of vehicles, (cars with no clear coat) which makes it fine for new cars, or those with custom paint, but for those of you with g-bodies with the original laquer, beware!!!!!:mad:
Basically, what happened is they want to "devalue" my original paint, which I have tried, very hard to up keep, and for those of you who have seen it , it shows. there are few of these g-bodies left that still wear the original paint and look good, so they want to give me about $900 (low est. was about $3300), needless to say, this is unacceptable. I bought the cover to protect the finish, not ruin it. Had they made notice that this problem did occur on cars without clearcoat, then it would be my loss, but they did not.
Stay Tuned tomorrow for another episode of as the cover gets returned......

Todays episode

I saw my insurance adjuster today... first the good news: They will repaint my car, and go after covercraft for payment. the bad news: Value of an '84 SS,even fully loaded, lo miles, hovers between 4-5K, the estimate for the repaint, makes it really close to them totalling the car<sigh> at least I'll make those scums pay! I guess I shoulda bought that GN....

New update <again>

Insurance adjuster called me today, seems the car is worth a whole lot more than blue book, adout 50% more! He said appraised value about $6000.00? Now I know the car is nice, but even I was shocked. I'll be recieving a check in the mail in a couple days... and anything beyond that minus the deductible, will be amended and taken care of...just like that, Guess thats what I pay the big bucks for....now to decide on a shop..... there is a couple things I want to do also while the car is apart... Now I guess I have to finish my T/R , so I have something(else) to drive...

final...

car goes in ass soon as I remove all the trim I want removed prior to painting....(wonder how long this one is going to take...)

My Preference:

Cale,

Bannister Auto Body
708A Bannister Street
Honolulu,HI 96819
Phone: 847-7800
Owner: Blake Takaezu

His is a two-man operation, so great quality control, I always tell him to take his time and do it right (only way he knows how). So he does mostly insurance jobs (touch-ups), and the parts he fixes look better than the rest of the car (finish-wise). I've done business with him for years, so I guess I am a preferred customer. Prices have always been reasonable to me, and I have never been dissapointed. He likes to do one complete repaint per year, so I guess mine is it (actually, there are three of us that want to paint cars this year, one is a car he painted 20 years ago, and BTW, still looks really nice) Car goes in next week, I am removing all trim this weekend. (the more I do, the less it costs)

Robert

this is a bit off topic,

But what was the name of the powder coating place in Campbell industrial park? And can anyone get deals there? <hint, nudge>

powder coating

you could try contacting char vowell....otherwise known at the track as the van....she did some headers on leonard barboza 's "bad attitude II" ....just a thought if your on a budget

thanks fugly,

but budget is not an issue, doing it right is, I just thoght if anyone knew the guys at the powdercoating place, I could save some cash. I have every intent of doing the SS in the most durable way possible. and as everything on the car that can be replaced will be replaced, (weatherstripping, decals, etc.) as long as I can find it... I would have purchased new window trim, except it is discontinued, so I will powdercoat the originals in the same semi-gloss black, so the color doesn't come offlike the original coating does...
....And then, when the SS is done, I can do the T/R... <sigh> my two money pits.... oh yeah, #3 is the house...