Can't Beat the Leak

trbodon21

Alright so I originally had a small leak coming from the front of the transmisssion pan. I pulled the pan off and got a new fiber gasket and a different pan that was perfectly flat. I installed the pan and gasket and I still have a slight leak coming from the front of the pan. The transmission surface aslo seems to be fine. Would torqueing the bolts down to like 15-16 ft-lbs help rather than the stock 12? The transmission fluid level is on the mid hash marks of the dipstick. I don't know what to do next. Any suggestions please becasue this is driving me insane.

Before you go nuts, check real closely to make sure you do not have a leak at the fill tube gasket at the trans base, and also check to make sure you dont have a leak at the TV cable gasket on the trans body. Both of those items can leak and feed fluid around the pan lip making it appear to have a leaking gasket.

Mark

Also, check the intermediate servo cover. The "o" ring can leak too.

Clean all the areas with brake clean, then dab all around the spots with Kleenex. The kleenex will absorb all the fluid and leave it dry. Wait for a few hours and dab the suspected areas again. The kleenex will show the red trans fluid quite clearly as it will suck up any leaking fluid. You've found the leak !

Our transmissions can easily fool ya as fluid travels along the pan rail making you think it's the pan gasket.

Also check the seal at the shift rod as it comes out of the tranny.

Also the TCC electrical connector

You sometimes can get a leak at the speedo gear that will run along the pan rail.

Good luck !!

Been there, done that !

I'm having the same problem and I'm pretty sure now it's NOT the pan. Exasperated, I brought it to a local trans shop. He charged me $200 to take it out and "replace all the seals".

Still leaks EXACTLY as it did before. When it sits it looks like the pan seal is weeping because the fluid follows the lip around the pan, but I'm sure it's running down from somewhere else.

I was working on the rear this past weekend with the back jacked up in the air. It was like a river coming out of it. Whaddya think? Dipstick tube? It's not the front seal - I've eliminated that as a possibility.

Jim