Can xylene be added directly to the tank?

tomjon

With say 1/4 full gas tank can 1 1/2 gallons of xylene be added directly to the tank to get proper fuel/additive ratio, or do you need to be empty and thoroughly mix in container then add to the tank? Thanks.

Just add it. They will mix quickly. If you have any concerns, just key on and let the pump circulte the fuel for a few seconds. This will stir it up.

One of the things I was told when I went to Bradenton was not to race with under 1/2 tank of fuel and with a 1/2 tank to use 2-2.5 gallons of Xylene for a proper mix.

xylene

You can use xylene up to a 30% mix.I used it for years before I switched over to race gas only.If you only mix 1 or 2 gallons with a 3/4 tank you will not raise your octane that much.If you want to know your octane in the tank say if you have 10 gallons of 94 octane and three gallons of xylene at 117 octane a gallon.That adds up to 1291.Divide it by 13(your total gallons)and you have a 99.4 octane mix.Bruce

I went 11.40 @ 116.3 this past weekend with a Sunoco 94/Xylene mix, 23psi boost, and 26* timing.

Mixing 2 gallons Xylene to 3 gallons 94, I figure it cost me about $3.18 a gallon ($26 for 5 gallon can of Xylene).

:D

-Banning.

Originally posted by Mr. Tee
just run race gas!
Banning how you make out with your car?

Still on the trailer. Just unhooked it from the truck and left it at the garage. Haven't had the time to mess with it. May be able to tomorrow night or Friday.

-Banning.

For what it's worth

Just thought I'd throw this out, typically I run 1 gallon of xylene to 3 gallons of 93 octane unleaded. I buy the xylene in 5 gallon drums from my local industrial supply company for $19.00 (a little less than $4.00 per gallon). I bring it home and break it down into 1 gallon sizes then add about 3 ozs. of Marvel Mystery Oil per gallon. Then when I feel froggy, like tonight, I go up to the gas station, pour a gallon of the "brew" into the tank, pump 3 gallons of 93 unleaded and Presto! Instant high octane! FWIW I was running 20 psi of boost tonight through a stock turbo/stock I/C setup with no knock. Chip timing is about 23 degrees. Anyway, BIG fun, I love the stuff. - BB:D