Can the antenna switch that Kirbans sell work on no factory unit?

87gn-newbee

Bought the switch to control the power antenna from Kirban thinking I can use it on my non factory radio but I don't think so. Can it be wired to work? If not anyone want it for a small donation:)

can you post the wiring codes for this? Is this the switch that will disconnect the power to the antenna so it wont go up everytime you listen to an aftermarket CD player? If so I may be able to help you wire this to your aftermarket CD player.

Another alternative would be to get a on/off switch at Radioshack for a couple of bucks that will do the same thing for less money.

Yes it is the switch that disconects the power to the antenna for use with CD's. I dont have a scanner but I will post the directions and maybe it can help you figue this out. Here it goes

1. remove the bolts , pull radio out. Not exactly the same but a shortened version

2. Locate the BLACK plastic connector that has four wires in it that was plugged into the back of the radio. Disconnect this and plug into the harness end, looks just like the one you disconnected.

3. plug the jumper back into the radio thus completing the radio's power circuit as before.

I know it's not much but there are 2 black plastic connector behind the radio. I think one is factory and the other is the new harness to run the new deck. The kit I bought looks just like the factory black boxes, female type with four wires comming out of it from the F,E,M,G terminals. Wires are black,gray yellow and pink. The pink wire is spiced where a on/off toggle switch was place. I hope I made some sense, if not I can send you the direction and the kit and maybe you can figue it out for me. That would be cool. Let me know.
Dan

If you buy an aftermarket head unit wiring harness, you should be able to put the switch between your factory harnes and the aftermarket harness and still use the toggle to kill antenna for CD play function without it sending the antenna up each time, if not here is another idea which will work. Put an inline on/off toggle switch from Radioshack in between the pink wire or the orange wire to open the circuit for CD player function. here is a wiring diagram that will help you install a on/off toggle switch.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/images/wiring_images/pwr_antenna_circuit.jpg

This is a switch that only costs a few bucks at your electronics store and will do the same thing as the Kirban switch, good luck.

I think I might have it now after looking at what I got. There is a blue and white plastic clip inside of the black box that has nothing in it. I thought it did so I think it might work if not I'll go with your switch. Now does it matter which wire either orange or pink to put the switch on? Just get a three prong switch splice the wire and add a ground correct? Thanks for the help
Dan

Originally posted by 87gn-newbee
Just get a three prong switch splice the wire and add a ground correct? Thanks for the help
Dan

All you need for a basic kill switch is a 2 prong sitch that opens the circuit for an example:

The cut pink wire would go to one the input terminals of the on/off switch and from the second output would go to the other cut pink wire that goes to the antenna relay. Just imagine taking the pink wire, cuting it in 2 and putting the switch inline to open or close circuit.

The pink wire sends the signal to the antenna relay and the orange is constant 12 volt so it really doesnt matter which wire you use, preferably the pink one. all you are doing is breaking the circuit.

It will be a few days maybe Tuesday before I mess around with it. I'll let ya know how it goes, I think I got it.