Can Scanmaster & T-Link be ran at same time

You bet. :)

Just splice Scanmaster's white data wire to the Orange wire from the back of ALDL pin E. This leaves the face of the ALDL port clean for you to hook up TLink.

It's a good combination.

Lance

Are you running both of them simultaneously this way? This sounds like a good idea...and simple too.

Originally posted by stickybones
Lance

Are you running both of them simultaneously this way? This sounds like a good idea...and simple too.

Yes, both at the same time.

I have Scanmaster mounted up on the dash, right next to the boost gauge. I keep my eyes on KR and boost as I head down course and have TurboLink recording in the passengers seat. If the KR numbers look good on Scanmaster I stay flat footed through the traps.

Afterwards, I take a closer look at the pass in the pits with TurboLink.

That's what I would like to do too now that I have T-Link. Just rewired the Scanmaster as you did. Yup, it works. Now I'll try out T-Link.

Thanks
Mike

I just tried running T-Link with the Scanmaster connected as described above. Scanmaster won't work while my laptop is connected to the ALDL port. Disconnect the laptop and the scanmaster works. Anything in particular I should look for or do to get both running at the same time? Maybe a setting within TurboLink? I'll start investigating now, but if you have any advice, fire away.

Thanks
Mike

Originally posted by stickybones
Scanmaster won't work while my laptop is connected to the ALDL port. Disconnect the laptop and the scanmaster works.

That sounds strange, my thoughts would be:
  1. Did TurboLink work before you rewired Scanmaster?
  2. Does TurboLink work if you disconnect Scanmaster's data feed from the Orange Wire?
  3. Did you get a good splice on the Orange wire, and does the Orange wire continue on the to the back of ALDL?
    [/list=1]

I'm not sure what it is, but there is an answer. I've ran mine at the same time for years, and I commonly hook my TurboLink up to Scanmaster equipped GN's.

My Scanmaster works if the laptop is hooked up to the ALDL but not on and so forth. There are no special "preference" settings necessary in TurboLink to make it work.

The only bizarre thing I can think of is a buddy of mines GN (hey Royal :)) had the ALDL port installed upside down from the factory. It caused him some confusion hooking up Scanmaster and we have to hook TurboLink up upside down, with the ALDL cap nipple facing toward the carpet.

Let me know,

I'll have to check on it when I get a chance. Weird though how scanmaster just goes blank when the laptop is connected and comes to life when disconnected.

We'll make a small mod to the black box and we'll give it another shot.

I wonder if the ScanMaster is a bit sensitive to the load of the new box on the ALDL line. We'll put a diode in the box on the data feed and see what happens...

Yep, they both work at the same time (thanks Lance) - even on my factory installed upside down ALDL port.

My Scanmaster dies when I plug the TurboLink cable in as well. I have the new 3.02 Turbolink if that matters. As soon as I yank the cable out, the Scanmaster pops back to life.

I *think* that a diode will cure the problem ... looks like the ScanMaster may not like the Turbolink hardware on the line for some reason.

Send me the box and I'll put one in. Anybody got a ScanMaster to loan for testing?

The scanmaster is expecting a cmos level signal, a diode might help, or a resistor.

I suspect the new interface is loading the aldl signal down too much.

TB

I could not get it to work by splicing the orange wire, I then inserted the SM wire into the correct slot without the spade and then put on the TL cap and both work. Go figure.

Originally posted by TurboBob
I suspect the new interface is loading the aldl signal down too much.
TB

Oops...I didn't think of that. All of my experience is with Scanmaster and Turbo Link 2.13.

I'm pretty sure ES1 is using v3.02 TurboLink ... the circuit has a diode on the serial line, which should do the trick. The very first early ones didn't (which is why I ask for folks to send back the new interface so I can add it).

I've got v3.02, v2.13 and an OTC2000 all running off the same ECM here in the lab and they seem to get along fine once I added the diode.

Thanks Ken.

The diode works. I can now run scanmaster and turbolink at the same time.

Great customer service. :)

Well, so much for that. I was running both T-Link and Scanmaster at the same time today and all was well for about five minutes. Then Scanmaster went flaky on me and starting reading all goofy (things like 35 deg knock at cruise and 50 deg coolant temp, and 4 volts for the battery, etc). Unplugged the laptop and Scanmaster went back to normal. Did the new diode go SNAFU?