can pipes be powdercoated w/ body filler on them

jetmech

Im thinking of having my intercooler pipes powder coated or ceramic coated but there are some dents in them seen from the engine compartment , will the coating work if i do the bodywork to them .

Im thinking of having my intercooler pipes powder coated or ceramic coated but there are some dents in them seen from the engine compartment , will the coating work if i do the bodywork to them .

No powder coating requires high heat to cure:frown:

you can use JB weld as "filler" then coat over it without any problem. Also a product called *metal lab*, a air cure(no mixing) filler. Good luck! (only applies to powder coating, ceramic a no go)
Ross

not sure this will work, but I know guys have taken the dents out of tpi runner tubes by filling them with water and freezing them. They are pretty thin walled though.

GOOD idea on the freezing part. The problem would be capping them off w/ something that wont expand first. Thanks

you can use JB weld as "filler" then coat over it without any problem. Also a product called *metal lab*, a air cure(no mixing) filler. Good luck! (only applies to powder coating, ceramic a no go)
Ross

Lab metal works the best, you can use JB weld for small scratches pretty effectively. Body filler doesn't like the heat and it is non conductive....so it doesn't like to take powder:( You can use a liquid conductive primer but $$$$

Most of the dents are on the bottom and nobody sees them so they just coat over it.

If you are going to use one of the above make sure it has a surface to bite to or it will/can pop with the heat. also if you can use a low cure powder this will keep the heat down 300- 350 degree.

If the dent is close to the end and you know a good torch guy you could smooth it out from the inside..

or buy a new pipe.....:biggrin:

thanks, who sells lab metal filler. I will look into this and determine if i want to do this way or fill it and paint them.