Can a 200-4r do this?

Jim Blackwood

I'm trying to decide if an automatic transmission will work for my application, which is a blown Buick 340 in an MGB, weighing 2500lbs. The requirements are significantly different than for drag racing. First, I need positive control of gear changes. Automatic shifting is fine for cruising around town but for spirited driving I need it to stay in the gear I select, and change gears when I shift, not when it feels like it, regardless of conditions. I don't want neck snapping gear changes when cruising up to the corner store, and finally I don't want the back end breaking loose if I downshift in a corner. So the first question is; Is it even possible to get that kind of performance out of a transmission such as the 200-4r?

Thanks,
Jim

built properly it can do that.pick up a copy of my book and build it yourselfhttp://www.ckperformance.com/resources/GM2004RTECHNICALMANUAL.html

Thanks for your response, but a couple of questions if you don't mind. How do you combine soft downshifts, mild part throttle upshifts and positive gear selection? From what I've heard so far positive gear selection requires a manual valve body and that precludes any sort of soft shift, either up or down. Is there a way around that? Does your book specifically explain how that would be done?
Thanks

Jim

HP is in the 300-400 range depending on boost level.

using low rpm valve body and governor combined with large boost valves and an undrilled seperator plate will get you there.your exact combo can be figured out using the information in the book.

OK, I bookmarked the page with your manual. Once I have a transmission in hand I'll order it and get started. I've been into several autos incl. 700r4 so should be able to handle that. Does this mean I should be looking for any particular tranny, like maybe one out of a big car?

What would be the downside of using a ratchet shifter with this setup?

Jim