Camshaft time..need advice.

87NAT

In Between GN's
I am looking to upgrade my camshaft. I have the 6776 dbb turb with 60# inj. I run alky and 25 psi normally. My heads are Eastern Performance. I am not sure exactly what is done as far as porting or valve size. They were installed before I bought the car. I have done some research and have heard good things about them.

I would like to buy a whole roller cam kit(cam, lifters, etc..) I would also like to put roller rockers at the same time. WHat size cam would I need for my combo and what ratio roller rockers? Also, will the roller rockers fit under my stock valve covers?

Any input is appreciated.

i can answer one question. roller rockers wont fit under stock covers unless you get the RJC valve cover spacers. as far as a cam something around a 212/212 would be nice but im no expert.

I think with the converter you have and the turbo a 212/212 or even a 218/212 roller would be fine. I just installed a CompCams 218/212 and the idle is awesome. The cam is good to 6200 rpms. I got mine from Jack Cotton, call him and see what he reccomends. Tell him phoneguy sent you.
Bryan

Just my 2cents

First:No roller rockers wont fit under stock valve covers unless you have spacers.But just buy some new fancy one's they say buick on them and you should be good.Also I would get 1.65.ratio

Second: Cam selection is critical here especially on a street car no cam bigger than a 212/212 is needed to run into the low 10's with these car's, so choose modestly, with that turbo and a 206/206 roller spool up wouldn't be an issue ever even with a stock converter.

Roller cam kit $800
Roller Rockers1.65 $400
New valve covers $150
$1350 not including labor for installation:eek:

Smoking that guy in the new Corvette PRICELESS:biggrin:

I was thinking the 206/206 myself. I would like to keep the torque curve that makes these motors what they are. I was getting ready to change my valve springs and the springs on the EP heads are are 100# already. I tested just one of them but since my car sat for 5 years before I bought it...I figured some of the springs were weak. I havent pulled all of them to test yet.

My major concrn is that whoever installed those heads back in the day put too strong of a spring and my stock cam is probably not what it used to be. I'm sure those high pressures might have taken a toll. It doesnt feel like it has any pep after 4600 rpms anymore.:frown:

Second: Cam selection is critical here especially on a street car no cam bigger than a 212/212 is needed to run into the low 10's with these car's, so choose modestly, with that turbo and a 206/206 roller spool up wouldn't be an issue ever even with a stock converter.:

+1 on the cam selection. I just went through this on my son's car. A 212/212 is the maximum you should go. Had a lot of spooling issues with the 212/212 until we went with more converter (3200-3400) and less turbo (6131dbb). I would go with the 206/206 which I will be installing in my car in the near future. :)

210/215 comp roller here.

My car idles great, makes real good power, has gone 11.03 at 124 mph with numerous issues recently identified and to be corrected. I am positive that if I get to the track before the end of the year, that the car will go 10.50 before the end of the day. That being said Ive been told by local guys that a 212 212 roller as mentioned by the other guys here work better on our turbo cars. (I am running a good set of ported irons). Hope this helps.

218-224

Call this # 812-987-3305--he can supply you with all the necessary parts to do a billet roller. IMO I would not go over 1.6 (I ran 1.55) on roller rockers with iron heads. BEWARE of retainer to guide contact with any setup--higher lift --the more apt to happen. This is a very good cam--if you go bigger in the future--it will take you there.

Ordered a 206/206 roller with Jack Cotton this morning!!

Good choice! 206 is perfect for a mostly street driven car. And it will still provide nice torque down low.
You could save a few bucks, and a lot of aggrevation and just use the stock rockers for now. I did, and my old GN`s motor was very happy like that.

nice choice. you will be very happy with the 206/206 its a good all around cam.

Not trying to be stupid, but when I orderd my 206/206 roller from Jack Cotton this morning I forgot to ask the specs on the cam. I had heard alot about this cam and I went strictly on his advice. (Real nice guy by the way:smile: )

Does anyone have the part number or the exact lift and duration of this cam.

Thanks.

HYDRAULIC ROLLER-Good performance up-grade for stock camshaft.Works with stock computer.

rpm range 800 to 5200
part number69-200-8
grind number258HR
duration intake 258 exhaust 258
duration at .050" intake 206 exhaust 206
lift with 1.55 rocker intake .496 exhaust .496
lobe separation angle 110º

Not trying to be stupid, but when I orderd my 206/206 roller from Jack Cotton this morning I forgot to ask the specs on the cam. I had heard alot about this cam and I went strictly on his advice. (Real nice guy by the way:smile: )

Does anyone have the part number or the exact lift and duration of this cam.

Thanks.

Jack is an awesome guy to deal with. I wouldnt steer a fellow cajun in the wrong direction.
Bryan