camshaft 180 out

lol....

If my camshaft were 180 out, I'd fix it by turning the engine over once.

troll^^^^^
why a troll , hes correct
the cam cant be 180out , it could be off a tooth and that isnt good but at 180 its not off its actually perfect as if it was set at 0 because the cam moves once with every two revolutions of the crank so turn the crank once and the cam is still perfect

typically a cam is installed with crank at tdc so it doesnt matter if you install the cam dot to dot or install dots at 12:00 it will be fine
but if you install the cam with crank dot at 6:Oo (180 out from tdc) and cam at 6:00 or 12:00you will have problems

cam install aside , if you install the cam sensor 180 out from 25 after tdc on the compression stroke and rather installed it at 25degree after tdc on the exhaust stroke it usually will start but it wont run well

Last edited:
the correct timing for the cam sensor is 25 degrees AFTER tdc.

and yes, if the cam sensor is 180 degrees out the car will run "ok", but will likely stumble off-idle.

Bob

I have had a couple turbo cars driven here that had drivability issues and the cam sensor was set 180 degrees out by someone?

There are various symptoms that accompany the 180 cam sensor out error, and one is off-idle stumble like Bob stated, but others may be a bad idle, or rough running and loss of power at RPM, or not even start?

Depending on the mods, build and other factors, these damn cars can have a different affect on how the car will run [or not] for a given issue. :confused:

Just when you think you know all about fixing these cars, they WILL kick your ass.

I got called up to a shop to help set cam sensor. Crank it and it would pop and then nothing. Went through the procedure and got it set right, and it did the same think. Hmmmmmmm..........started asking questions and after about a half hour a friend of the shop (who runs a tune up shop) said "it sounds like your exhaust is plugged up. We looked at the assembler and his face turned red.......turns out he left a shop rag in the exhaust header and it was wadded up into the 76mm turbo and wouldn't let the poor engine pass gas. First time I've seen that. Lol