Camber

VIN7

Is there a calculator to convert shim thickness to degrees? For example if I removed 1/8" worth of shims how many more degrees negative camber would I see?

Here are my current specs.

Attachments

• 20160513_173554-2.jpg
    20160513_173554-2.jpg
    857.5 KB · Views: 92
The machine that produced that printout is capable of telling you how much shims to put in or take out. Note: there are some applications where the + or - will be opposite due to which side the shims go on and I dont remember if this application is one of them. Its self explanatory when your doing it. The amount should be correct though

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

On another note if it doesn't pull I wouldnt sweat it personally. That alignment doesnt look too bad imop.

Edit: just re-read your post. You want more negative camber? You can adjust the specs in the machine and it will still calculate the shim ammount. It will also print out "Modified Vehicle Spec" at the top. See it all the time when techs are too lazy to fix alignments and want it to print "all green". Funny when your there because of a "problem" since it was just aligned and now the quickcheck machine is failing camber still. Tech doesnt realize the alignment printout or the logged file tells on him lol

Last edited:
Is there a calculator to convert shim thickness to degrees? For example if I removed 1/8" worth of shims how many more degrees negative camber would I see?

None, removing shims makes the camber go in the positive direction. Need to add shims for more negative camber.

RemoveBeforeFlight

None, removing shims makes the camber go in the positive direction. Need to add shims for more negative camber.

RemoveBeforeFlight
Ugh, brain fart :)

I'm just trying to work out how a measurement in inches converts to degrees in this case (out of curiosity). Guess I need to break out the old trigonometry book.

Wouldn't you check it with an alignment machine again because your going to have to set toe again. Just let the aligner tell you what to do with shims and save your brain cells. It takes 10 seconds to click "adjust using shims"

Wouldn't you check it with an alignment machine again because your going to have to set toe again. Just let the aligner tell you what to do with shims and save your brain cells. It takes 10 seconds to click "adjust using shims"

True.

What's your opinion on this, I have a Moog problem solver pivot shaft that is offset. I have the option of rotating the shaft to get more negative camber, as it is now there's about 1" worth of shims. Is it worth it to rotate the shaft and use the offset to reduce the stack thickness of the shims. Or just let it ride?

That is a lot but as long as you have plenty of thread engagement it shouldnt matter. I will confess I personally have never used one of those shafts though. If there are threads past the bolt and the car drove nice, i would let it ride. If your shooting for more negative camber for some kind of track racing then I would get it on the machine and start by adjusting the shaft with a few shims. Then remove or add to dial it in where you want. Set the specs in the machine to what you want, and it should get you very close.