Cam Sensor Positioning

QuikRick

I did some major engine mods and now trying to get cam position sensor set. I did the TDC and then 25 degrees ATDC and set the CPS with a Caspers CPS tool. Engine won't start. The one thing I didn't do is make sure that the #1 cylinder was on compression and not exhaust. Can't I now simply rotate the CPS window 180 degrees and then I should be good assuming all else is right? Is this logical or not? Any help would be appreciated. Thanx

Last edited:
It will still start and run with the cam sensor 180* out. Won't run quite right, but it will run.

Need to check if there is spark, and if so, is there fuel pressure, and if so, are the injectors being fired.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Is the interuptor ring on the crank pulley going through the correct slot on the crank sensor? The sensor has 2 slots and if ring is not in the correct one the engine will not start.

Is the interuptor ring on the crank pulley going through the correct slot on the crank sensor? The sensor has 2 slots and if ring is not in the correct one the engine will not start.

Sorry but I really don't know what you're talking about. If you're talking about the crank shaft sensor I believe it was removed from the engine and then put back exactly like it came off. Could what you're talking about happen if nothing was done to the sensor? In other words it wasn't replaced or fondled with to my knowledge. How would I check it?

To answer your first question, no you can't rotate the CPS window 180 degrees if it is not set on the compression stroke. You need to pull the sensor and rotate the engine to 25 ATDC on the compression stroke and reset the sensor. However even with it 180 out the engine should start. Best bet is to get the CPS set correctly. I was then suggesting checking the crank sensor as if it is not working the engine will not start. Make sure it is plugged in and rotate the engine by hand and check that the interuptor ring is not rubbing on the sensor.

To answer your first question, no you can't rotate the CPS window 180 degrees if it is not set on the compression stroke. You need to pull the sensor and rotate the engine to 25 ATDC on the compression stroke and reset the sensor. However even with it 180 out the engine should start. Best bet is to get the CPS set correctly. I was then suggesting checking the crank sensor as if it is not working the engine will not start. Make sure it is plugged in and rotate the engine by hand and check that the interuptor ring is not rubbing on the sensor.
Okay I set the

Okay sir, I reset the CPS to the "T". Got my 25 degrees ATDC and definitely was on the compression stroke and used the Casper's little box with LED light and no start. Looked at the crank shaft sensor and it was definitely plugged in. The interuptor ring is going thru the slot farthest away from the plug. I assume that is correct. It doesn't appear to rubbing but is a tight fit and appears to have rubbed at some time or another. Do I need to get a new Crankshaft PS? Doesn't look like much could go wrong with one but I really don't know. Getting close to my wit's end with this thing. LOL = Where do I go from here? Any help would be appreciated. Thanx, Rick

Yes that is the correct slot for the crank sensor. The clearance is tight that is normal. Do you know if you have fuel pressure? Is the orange wire ovet by the battery plugged in? That is the ECM power. Are there any blown fuses? You will get it figured out. Lots of help here!

Yes that is the correct slot for the crank sensor. The clearance is tight that is normal. Do you know if you have fuel pressure? Is the orange wire ovet by the battery plugged in? That is the ECM power. Are there any blown fuses? You will get it figured out. Lots of help here!
I have an in line fuel pressure gauge and turning the engine over for a few seconds it goes up to 35 PSI. Don't want to wear out my new starter. lol - There is an orange wire running from the positive battery post along the top side of the passenger fender. Then goes into a larger collection of wires by the firewall. I put a wire into the #1 cylinder wire and I have spark when turning over the engine. I have checked several different fuses and all were good. Is there a particular fuse I should look at? Car has an ESP ignition. Wonder if that could be a problem but like I say I'm getting fire at #1 plug. Thanx, Rick

If you've verified no blown fuses and have injector pulse use the flow chart on vortex to find your ignition problem. If no injector pulse use it to find your fuel delivery problem

BPE2013@hotmail.com

If you've verified no blown fuses and have injector pulse use the flow chart on vortex to find your ignition problem. If no injector pulse use it to find your fuel delivery problem

BPE2013@hotmail.com
Where do I need to check for blown fuses? Are we talking about the fuse box under the dash or certain fuses under the hood? How do I check to see if I have injector pulse? Also, "use the flow chart on vortex to find your ignition problem" Can you explain to me in layman terms what that means? I also wanted to say I have a Scan Master that has never been installed on the car. I don't suppose this would help locate the problem since I think it is for diagnosis of the engine when running. Am I correct there? Thanx, Rick

QUOTE="QuikRick, post: 3462935, member: 8866"]Where do I need to check for blown fuses? Are we talking about the fuse box under the dash or certain fuses under the hood? How do I check to see if I have injector pulse? Also, "use the flow chart on vortex to find your ignition problem" Can you explain to me in layman terms what that means? I also wanted to say I have a Scan Master that has never been installed on the car. I don't suppose this would help locate the problem since I think it is for diagnosis of the engine when running. Am I correct there? Thanx, Rick[/QUOTE]

Never mind on how to do the fuel injector pulse test, I'll get a noid light tester set tomorrow and check it. Thanx