cam sensor adj. required after oil prime?

street6

pushing stock limits
In the process of doing an engine swap and would like to prime the newly installed motor before running it (motor has approx 1000 miles). If I remove the cam sensor and use a priming tool to prime the oil pump/ motor will the cam sensor have to be adjusted after it is reinstalled? Can I simply mark the cam sensor position before removal and reinstall it (after priming) in the same position since the rotating assembly will not be turned?

I read a few recent posts and got confused on how to prime the motor. Do I need to pack the oil pump w/ vasoline to get the oil pump primed or just fill motor with oil and use the priming tool? Again, the motor has approx 1000 miles on it (billet roller cam, roller rockers). Currently the oil is drained and it is on a motor stand with intake & tb secured.

Thanks.

....If I remove the cam sensor and use a priming tool to prime the oil pump/ motor will the cam sensor have to be adjusted after it is reinstalled?

No.... not necessarily

....Can I simply mark the cam sensor position before removal and reinstall it (after priming) in the same position since the rotating assembly will not be turned?

Yes... mark (ACCURATELY - see above) the position of the cap, remove the cap, mark position of the rotor, remove sensor... (rotates when you remove, just like a distributor).... replace like you found it.... :)

....I read a few recent posts and got confused on how to prime the motor. Do I need to pack the oil pump w/ vasoline to get the oil pump primed or just fill motor with oil and use the priming tool? Again, the motor has approx 1000 miles on it (billet roller cam, roller rockers). Currently the oil is drained and it is on a motor stand with intake & tb secured.

Thanks.

If the oil pump is set up correctly, it should prime right up with the tool without any 'help'. I'd give it a whirl on the stand to make sure, so that if you DO need to pack the pump with vasoline, it'll be alot easier out of the car. You can also prime the pump by filling turbo feed line with oil, and spinning the pump backwards a few turns to suck it up and fill the oil pump cavities... probably alot easier. Mine didn't need any help to prime when I rebuilt it.... HTH... :smile:

thanks bmackinnon.

so you are saying that the cam sensor "cap" has to be removed from the cam sensor shaft itself, and then remove the cam sensor shaft to prime?

I thought I could just remove the cam sensor shaft with the cam sensor "cap" still attached to do the priming.

You'll need to remove the plastic cap first in order to mark the position of the 'rotor' or 'window' of the sensor..... just like removing/replacing a standard distributor..... two bolts hold the cap on.... again.... just like a dist.... :)

save yourself the aggravation and just adjust the cam sensor like you are supposed to. it only takes a few minutes.

Setting the cam sensor with a volt meter and key on is easier than going through marking everything only to be off more than a few degrees when done.

thanks guys, I guess I will be adjusting the cam sensor after the prime.