Cam Identification

12lepler

ok.. I bought an 86 GN. I don't trust the tune in it because the chip was made by some shop in illonois in 2001. So my chip is over 10 years old and I want to replace it with a TT chip. Problem is that I don't know what kind of cam I have. The engine in my car had been rebuilt with ARP hardware, a double roller timing chain, and forged PISTONS, so I doubt the cam is stock. Is there a way to check what cam I have without ripping the engine apart to degree it? Can a dial indicator on a pushrod work? I took pictures of any markings I saw on the cam while I was doing an oil pan gasket. I'll post pics of that if it helps anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 1409202571677.jpg
    1409202571677.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 178
  • 1409202637993.jpg
    1409202637993.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 1409202655732.jpg
    1409202655732.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
A dial indicator on the pushrod can get you the approximate lobe lift and you can go backward through the catalog with it and probably identify the lobes that way. You'd need to check an intake and exhaust lobe

BPE2013@hotmail.com

I am no expert but your bottom end does not look forged. The rods definitely look cast. Crank bob weight looks cast too.

What does the chip say front and back. I know most of the TR shops in Illinois. From there I may be able to put you in the range of their favorite cams.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Probably forged replacement pistons but that bottom end is cast and yes probably stock except for the ARP rod bolts.

Well I MEANT forged pistons not forged crank and stuff. :confused: better edit that original post. I didn't want to sound like a liar or an idiot I'm just inexperienced. The previous owner had no idea the engine was rebuilt and I'm trying to find out all the mods on my own. I was told from people I showed that those pistons were forged. Trust me I'm no expert either. I've never first hand seen a forged anything to know what it looks like at a glance. This is the first modified car I've ever owned so I'm getting my knowledge built up.

Last edited:
What does the chip say front and back. I know most of the TR shops in Illinois. From there I may be able to put you in the range of their favorite cams.

It says this

Attachments

• 1409244064375.jpg
    1409244064375.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 153
  • 1409244096614.jpg
    1409244096614.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 139
That looks like the writing of Gary Oswald who used to run a GN shop by the name of Street Performance. I know he had 3 flat tappet came he liked and 3-4 hydraulic rollers he used a lot.

What heads Turbo and converter? Photo of the car may help too. I spent a ton of time there.

That looks like the writing of Gary Oswald who used to run a GN shop by the name of Street Performance. I know he had 3 flat tappet came he liked and 3-4 hydraulic rollers he used a lot.

What heads Turbo and converter? Photo of the car may help too. I spent a ton of time there.

It's got a 3000 stall TC and a PT54

Sounds like an ANS Performance combo. Pete Barton and Ron Joseph. Most likely a 206/206 flat tappet.