cam button

Duke

Does the cam button need to have all that spring pressure to hold the cam in place? could just a button with a specfic clearance be used or lower the spring tension on the stock button? Keep seeing blocks that have been machined by the flange on the cam.

Yes, no, maybe.........
You CAN use a roller thrust bumper and shims. (Full Throttle sells them), but if you are using a flat tappet cam, then use the spring loaded roller. (latest version) The reason the cam eats into the face of the block, I've found, is that the oil feed hole for the distributor gear (cam sensor in our case) has a burr on it and it, too, is case hardened with the cam core. So I always de-burr that hole on the thrust face of the cam to eliminate the little saw blade. I use a small 1/8" shank rotary stone. I will also deburr the edges of each cam lobe, too. Mainly because I seem to always cut the crap outta my fingers installing a cam. Is it just me? Am I the only one that gets cuts on my hands from the edges of the cam lobes (or the dist. drive gear is usually as sharp as a razor, too.):mad:

welcome to the club of chewed up hands partner.:biggrin:

Ya.......I'd never qualify to be a hand model. After 35+ years of professional wrenching, I'm amazed that I can even turn a wrench anymore. 8 surgeries for industrial injuries, I have a hard time just crawling outta bed. It takes concentration just to walk a straight line to the shower in the morning.:frown: Driving rivets and working overhead for 10-12 hrs a day does things to ya that most folks just don't "get" to enjoy.;)

The little burr on the thrust face of the cam NEEDS to be removed. Polishing the thrust face wouldn't hurt either. I DO hand polish the thrust faces of the crank after I have them turned.