C-ComWP and USB to Serial

BigBird R/T

Got a new Laptop with no Serial Port but used a USB adapter and works fine.
Looking in Device Manager it is connected to COM7, Baud Rate of 9600, 8,N,1.
Would there be any advantage in speeding the Baud Rate up and if so, how much?
As stated in the title this is running C-Com for Windows.

Thanks,
RON

I don't know any advantage of moving up the baud rate, as the communication is only going to go as fast as the ECU will allow it. But make sure that you change the Com Port setting in your Device Manager. C-Com only sees coms 1-4. ;)

Thanks for the info about the Com Port settings. When I first used the adapter it worked fine. The next time I pluged the USB part in a different slot, (got 4 on this comp) and it didn't work. Changed it in Device Manager to Com Port 1 and no problem.
Anyway guess my question would be is can I speed up the comunication between the FAST (ecu) and my computer higher than 9600 baud? OR is 9600 all that is needed?

Ron

It's not a problem. That is the most common problem with any USB converter cable. If you plug it into a different USB port, you will have to go thru it all again. The 9600 should do you just fine. I have never heard of being able to communicate any faster. That would be like trying to hook up a DSL cable to a 56K modem. Just isn't going to get any better. ;)

BigBird R/T said:
Thanks for the info about the Com Port settings. When I first used the adapter it worked fine. The next time I pluged the USB part in a different slot, (got 4 on this comp) and it didn't work. Changed it in Device Manager to Com Port 1 and no problem.
Anyway guess my question would be is can I speed up the comunication between the FAST (ecu) and my computer higher than 9600 baud? OR is 9600 all that is needed?

Ron

You're not going to notice any huge change in speed by altering your port rate up. The files are all so small that transferring to or from the ECU takes no time at all. If the .gct files were very large, then moving the port speed up would reduce the time it takes to load a tune into the ECU. However, given the small size of the files you're not going to see a real world improvement.

LinearX said:
You're not going to notice any huge change in speed by altering your port rate up. The files are all so small that transferring to or from the ECU takes no time at all. If the .gct files were very large, then moving the port speed up would reduce the time it takes to load a tune into the ECU. However, given the small size of the files you're not going to see a real world improvement.

Was thinking more of comunication with the sensors (and logging) rather than .gct files. Guess I'm just trying to squeeze everything out of the FAST unit.

BigBird R/T said:
Was thinking more of comunication with the sensors (and logging) rather than .gct files. Guess I'm just trying to squeeze everything out of the FAST unit.

Are you talking about upping the port speed so the laptop reads the sensor output faster? If so, I've never tried that before so I dunno if it'll have any effect or not. My gut feels says that it won't less you're trying to run the dash that has every sensor known to man logging. The worst that can happen is that you try it and it doesn't change anything.

To answer your question, the program forces the baud rate into place when you run it. You can't change com port speed and have it create any noticeable difference because it sets the speed all by itself.

Hey Craig, Thanks for the reply. Good to see you back on the board. You've always been a great help with "gremlims and such" :)
Hope things are going your way..............