Buy new or rebuild?

DJay

GN Novice.
Have a tooth broken off ring gear of rear end. Assuming pinion has one or more teeth broken as well. POSI seems fine.

Do u reccomend paying the $6-700 for it to be rebuilt with new ring / pinion / bearrings or find a new unit?

Are there upgrades for our rear ends?

TIA

I have a good bit of faith in the stock rear end. I'm sure some one else could tell you more, or (otherwise;)) but it's my understanding that eliminating the c-clips and upgrading the axles makes it a fairly stable rear.

I would rebuild what you have.These rears are incredibly strong even with stock axles.You can get a set of gears for under 200.00 and a bearing kit for about 75.00.If you have a intermediate skill level you can do the swap yourself.A set of clutches for the posi are around 70.00.Axles will set you back around 230.00 with studs.I personally would not run eliminators in a street car,because of fluid seepage issues.If you do decide to use them,use a sealer called "Great Stuff".It's a little expensive but it works better than anything else I have tried.Why spend the money?Because you know what you have right now,don't buy someone elses headaches.My two cents worth.Gears R Us is a great source for the above parts.

I would go with what Mayosmechanic said. Good advise. You may want to pull off the two carrier bearing caps to make sure the outter carrier bearing race didn't spin inside the housing and ruin the bearing bore. Sometimes this happens and it creates misalignment in the gear set and will result in a broken ring gear tooth. If the housing looks good, rebuild it. At least you know what you have then.Good Luck,Jeff

Check with your local dealer or GM Parts Direct.I am somrtimes a little skewed on prices...I own a shop and typically buy at jobber.It's been a few since I bought a set of clutches.I do have a center section coming out of GN soon that had new clutches installed around 5k ago.It's my personal ride and i'm goin 30 spline to hold up to a new stage motor in the works.I also have a good used set i'll let you have for 30.00 they still have the swirl marks on them,they also came out of my car at 30k.