build # ?

gn4u2c

Yes Its fast no you can't
Is there a way to tell the build # on my car ? I have the vin her and the owner kit but it does not list the car #?? not like a gnx i guess?

I have worked on and continue to work on many TTA's if you still have the original transmission in the car you can check the tag on the pass. side of the tail shaft. There should be a blue tin plate with a hand scribed production number. This is a example of a tag on a TTA in my shop right now. 053 892 TAF 0560 The numbers & letters brake down like this. 053=53rd day, 892= 1989 Feb. TAF=Trans Am F-body, 0560= 560th of 1552. All TTA's transmissions were hand built and numbered.
Steve Kaminski

Originally posted by skturbo
I have worked on and continue to work on many TTA's if you still have the original transmission in the car you can check the tag on the pass. side of the tail shaft. There should be a blue tin plate with a hand scribed production number. This is a example of a tag on a TTA in my shop right now. 053 892 TAF 0560 The numbers & letters brake down like this. 053=53rd day, 892= 1989 Feb. TAF=Trans Am F-body, 0560= 560th of 1552. All TTA's transmissions were hand built and numbered.
Steve Kaminski

Very interesting stuff, thanks for the info.

Lee, maybe this info should go in the TTA FAQ section.

Just a heads up. The tag on the transmission is WRONG! That is not the build number. There is a slight chance that is it but the ONLY way to be positive is contact PHS and pay the $35 bucks for the kit and nice letter they send you telling you the number of your car.
Here is why 90% of the transmission tags are wrong. When the cars left Van Nuys, CA and went to PAS for the engine and trans conversion.. If the person working on the car took the time to match the trans tag with the car number then it could be correct. The people from Pontiac told me 90% of the time the people working on the cars just grabbed any trans from the pile and installed it. Mine says 372 but my car number is 396 Only Pontiac has the correct number via the vin number they can tell. So if you really want to know your number pay the money and get the kit. WELL worth the money for all the goodies they send you.. Click the link to see what the letter PHS sends you :)

http://turbobuicks.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core:ShowItem&g2_itemId=23323

The InterCoolers have a number on them too, but just like the transmissions, it is only as accurate as the guy picking the part off the pile.

Transmission numbers are not related to the vehicle build numbers.
Those numbers (on transmission) were stamped on the transmissions as they were built.they have no value except to the
transmission itself and were (and still are) to identify product, date of build and location of building plant. In our case the 200r4 transmissions were built at the Hydra-matic plant in Three Rivers, Michigan.

Any shop manual should have this information in the "general information", or at the beginning of the transmission section.
Honestly, The transmission number means absolutely nothing to the actual vehicle build sequence numbers. Turbota

If the numbers on the trans tag of your TTA are stamped and not hand scribed you dont have the original trans.

Steve, All the transmissions were hand scribed. I talked to all the owners of my 27K TTA and the trans was never touched. The only way to know the true build number is to call Pontiac or PHS. I have done a ton of research on this. When the cars went to PAS they didn't even know what numbers they were. The cars left Van Nuys, CA. and only then someone from Pontiac gave each one a build number and it went with the vin. The number your finding on the trans could be a build number for PAS but NOT for the car When they got to PAS there was no way for them to find out what car was what. For some reason Pontiac made the build numbers a secret. You had to contact them to find out via the vin. The person at PAS had 1555 transmisions on the shelf and as the cars came in they went with whatever one came down the line first. I've spent hours on the phone with Pontiac and I've sent a ton of e-mails out about this to Pontiac and PHS. And contacting Pontiac is the only way to know!
If you have a TTA sitting over there jot down the vin number and send it in to PHS. I bet it don't match that trans number at all! :cool:

Jim, I understand and believe what you are saying. I'm was just pointing out that the TTA transmissions were built special for the TTA's. I have seen transmissions on Ebay that were supose to be from a TTA and did'nt have the hand scribed blue TTA tag. The tags were not stamped like on the GN and other 200-R4's. It is important that if someone has a numbers matching GN or TTA that they try to keep it that way. Your VIN # is stamped on the block (with a special stamp differant from the GN) and on the transmission.
Steve

Oh ok! :) I got you know.. Yes they were special transmissions for the TTA's From what I was told each transmission was hand built by someone for the 1555 of them. I guess that's where the blue tag comes in to confirm that. I'm one of those guys who digs till I hit bottom and then I dig some more when I want to learn more about a car I own! :)

I thought there used to be a web link that you typed your vin number in and it could tell you the production number.

Was there ever a such thing, and was it a hoax?

Small correction, PAS build the complete drive trains at City of Industry then shipped them to the Van Nuys assembly plant where they ended up in the cars dedicated from day one to be a TTA (and yes the transmission and IC could have ended up on any drivetrain and in any TTA at Van Nuys), the engine block go their VIN I'm sure at Van Nuyes before being taken to the PAS facility in City of Industry for tuning, emblems etc.

this was the way Carroll Shelby built all his cars .. whatever was there went on it to get it out :p guess things didn't change over the years :p :eek:

Steve Kaminski

Steve,

Could you give me a call...732-778-2273...I have a question about a set of TTA heads..

Thanks,Shawn