broken valve spring 305 chevy

starjet

The motor in question is a 305 V-8 out of a 97 chevy truck. A buddy of mine wants me to help him fix this truck. It started to run rough, he drove it for a while home. He brought it to a shop, they told him it would be about $800 to fix. There was a broken valve spring. He had it towed to his house. I looked under the valve cover. I don't know too much about valve problems. The valve appeared closed in the up position and will not move. I have the spring that was broken in two that the mechanic gave him. The valve didn't drop and break the head, but it appears stuck. My two questions: What happened and what do I have to do to fix it?

just got done doing a 350 same idea, sounds as if when the spring broke it dropped the valve low enough that it contacted the piston head, i have never seen this wreck a piston yet, so you are probably safe in that region, you will have to buy a new valve seeing i am pretty much 100% sure the valve is bent, and pull the intake and head off to get the valve out you should only have to tap it out with a hammer and put in the new one, and mate the new seat and valve together know as "valve lapping". then install the spring and retainers with a valve spring tool. clean all the head and intake surfaces, install the new head gasket, torque the head down in sequence, then install the intake with the gaskets facing the right way.

,Dan