Broken trunk lock

84sithlord

The key goes in and turns but the trunk does not open. I don't have the interior release. any suggestions on how to open it without calling a locksmith? thanks

Take out the back seat, bottom first, push rearward and pull up in the front.
Then you unscrew the bolts for the seatback at the bottom of the seatback.
Then, you might be able to crawl into the trunk and get to the gizmo that rotates when you turn the key,
you might be able to get a pliers on the end sticking out and twist it to open the trunk.

you wont be able to crawl in but you can get a rod in there to trip the release on the latch

try applying light downward pressure to the top of the trunk while turning the key, unless the key turns freely.

haven't looked to see if my Regal is like this, but i do know that you could remove the clip that holds the trunk key cylinder in place on my 74 Monte Carlo by flipping the license plate down and removing a screw.. yeah, real secure..

haven't looked to see if my Regal is like this, but i do know that you could remove the clip that holds the trunk key cylinder in place on my 74 Monte Carlo by flipping the license plate down and removing a screw.. yeah, real secure..

I can safely say that there is no trunk that I cannot access through the back seat removal procedure. Even if the they have the cross braces for frame structure, Best bet is suck it up and call a locksmith. I personally put in a remote release after market was a piece of cake. I did not wire it from the annoying glove box. Rather by the emergency brake release where it belongs. Brad

if he lost the actuating rod from the cylinder to the latch assemble a locksmith isnt going to help ,

ive taped a thin blade screwdriver to a broom stick and reached in and turned the latch where the actuator rod would be

One could always get a bunch of extensions and a 1/2", (I think), socket
and take the three bolts out that hold the latch.
The actuator, if there might fall away.

I can safely say that there is no trunk that I cannot access through the back seat removal procedure. Even if the they have the cross braces for frame structure, Best bet is suck it up and call a locksmith. I personally put in a remote release after market was a piece of cake. I did not wire it from the annoying glove box. Rather by the emergency brake release where it belongs. Brad

it's more secure in the glovebox, since you can lock it..